Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
The Ultimate Wire Hider
4,455 Posts
There are all kinds of factors that determine how long something should take.

For example, my mechanic needs 2 weeks to do a tuneup on my car. Doing the actual tuneup will take about 45 minutes but all of the fuel injection plumbing and wiring that he has to take out will take the majority of the time.

·
Registered
7,365 Posts
Is it staged? Are you using a few ladders and a walk plank? If so, it shouldn't take that long. The setup for the job will take much longer than actually rolling out the I&W and putting a few tacks in the top strip to hold it

·
Registered
Butcher of wood and metal
7,031 Posts
Like I ways say , the job takes as long as it takes to get done. Like already been said to many things to take into consideration to know for sure.

·
Hair Splitter
18,333 Posts
3-12 pitch 2nd story 22' x 16' and 2nd story 10-12 pitch 1 coarse 44' all by yourself no help whatsoever ..:rolleyes:
Longer than it takes to ask a question that no one can answer but yourself.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
It depends on the man. And if you don't have a good handle on it, then you shouldn't do it with no help whatsoever.

To drtoellersr: the way I read your post is that you're a homeowner, and you have a labor-only deal with a handyman you've picked up from CraigsList, and you're double-guessing his labor estimate for putting down "Ice and Shield". Or maybe you're the handyman.

Usually the moderators stop by and suggest that DIYers head over to DIYChatroom.com, where you'll get a more sympathetic ear.

If I and the rest of the members have misread you, and you're really a pro, you can start by introducing yourself on the Introductions forum.

My best advice? Hire someone who knows what he's doing. People die falling off of roofs.

Hire someone with good insurance, unless you want the handyman's widow to own your house.

·
Windwash
595 Posts
Sounds like he told someone to ice the perimeter of the roof and it took the guy to long and we were supposed to say 45 minutes....it took the guy 2 hours and he doesn't think it's worth 40 bucks
The OP doesn't say his location but around here (MN), lots of older homes that have 3/12 roofs without proper insulation and venting get ice and water shield on the whole roof.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Well put sfo but it is fun to listen to the answers. Lol
SFO's right..... but let's help with the technical aspects....

If you apply that Grace vertically instead of horizontally, it'll roll out a lot quicker....

I estimate about 5 seconds per vertical course on the 3/12.... and 3 secounds per vertical course on the 10/12 slope.....

Figurig 8 courses on the 3/12 X two sides to the gable plus 7 courses on the 10/12 X two sides to the gable.....

I figure that ought to roll out in (8x5x2 plus 7x3x2)=122 seconds but rounding up from 122 seconds for a roof load and cleanup,.... I fugure about 3 minutes.....

but just an estimate....

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Damn.... these one post wonder Homeowners, come in, sign up nefariously ask a stupid question and then vanish. I wish there was some way in the sign up process, where they could be screened out, or directed to the DIY forum.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.