Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

61 - 78 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
I have almost all Makita tools.

My trim saw is STILL an LS1011N:

I have used this saw on a Stable Mate stand (steel, heavy as heck) for years. The saw itself is 14 years old. I've replaced the brushes and the spring under the bottom that holds the positive stop bearing. Nothing more. I've cut oak to pine with it, also used it with blade reversed for siding and aluminum soffit material. I USE IT and have trued it up a few times, but it's still great. The fence is bent just a hair (I mean barely) when I was cutting an oak handrail return and it caught and bound / bounced.

I have two Makita sidewinder circular saws. One is 15 years old. Replaced the switch and brushes in it. The other is 8 years old, still kicking. Yes I've had to "adjust" the shoe on it a few times, to get it to zero out after dropping it.

I have my very first cordless drill, the one that started the Makita Madness. It's a 9.6v banana battery style. KEYED CHUCK in a steel case. I have drive 4" drywall screws all day with the thing, it will not die! I've retired it now, it's in the shed, but STILL RUNS FINE.

I have the Makita 2704 for a table saw. It's fairly new, but a sweet portable. I had a guy that insisted his Bosch was a better saw retract that statement after he tried it. He admited it was as good as his.

Bottom line? I use and trust Makita as a pro tool. They get first consideration when I buy anything with an electric motor.

And yes, I want a new trim saw. I'm saving my pennies for the $550 tag on the newest Makita 10" slider that cuts BIG crown.

LS1016L quad glides for more precision.

·
Smart phone? Scan me!
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
I wonder why they made it a 10" instead of a 12". :( That is what has me not wanting that one. I would rather have that saw if it were the 12" blade. I am going to have to plunk down about that for the new saw. I will get the work to pay for it though.. so I will definitely need it.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I wonder why they made it a 10" instead of a 12". :( That is what has me not wanting that one. I would rather have that saw if it were the 12" blade. I am going to have to plunk down about that for the new saw. I will get the work to pay for it though.. so I will definitely need it.

Well, the new design of the 10"er allows it to cut the same or larger stock as most 12"er's.

Benefit? 10" blades are cheaper, they FLEX less (for straighter cuts) and the new quad guides also flex less. (Shorter length of the beam)

I want one! Can you tell? :laughing:

·
Registered
139 Posts
Sorry nEighter, it was bedtime.

No, not online. I do often buy online, but HD is carrying this model in store and the price is cheaper than online. Forget shipping, the actual price!

I don't know, but I'd assume your local HD would have them? Let you have a hands on play with it run.

The link I offered in the previous post shows a short vid on the saw if you look for it. 6 5/8 crown can be cut nested (against the fence and table) or 4 5/8 base standing up. Pretty much the same as a 12" saw. The video shows how the new head design and blade guard design allows that. The quad glides are patented, so I wonder if the competition will have them. Perhaps in 20 years?

Anyway, I don't have it yet, probably won't unitl Fall, so I can't give you a hands on report on how she cuts and handles. I wish I could, but it's not the right time for me to buy it. I do, supposedly, have a three house trim job coming in mid fall....so that's when I anticipate getting it.

Here's the manufacturer's website for the actual saw, the vid should start when you get there.

LS1016L Link

A review of the saw: Tool Cop - JLC Forum

A review right here at CT: www.contractortalk.com/f40/makita-ls1016l-review-62133/

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Back to a previous post - How do you know when it needs brushes ? Especially the DW 12" ?

I have 2 - DW 12", 1 - Hitachi 10", 1 - Makita Hypoid, 1 - Makita 7.25, 1 - Bosch 7.25

·
Registered
139 Posts
Brushes required?

The saw runs "hot" with some smell of burning, or noticeable sparking in the brush area. You can see it through the vent slots. My miter saw's brake was getting sporadic (meaning the saw would cut, but not brake when the trigger was released). If these symptoms are there, remove the brushes and inspect them. It takes about 3 minutes with my Makita equipment.

Reactions: nEighter

·
hurtlocker
555 Posts
I am on my fifth miter saw 12" makita slider
the others were all dewalt I still have them, all except one
I like to have two saws working
one for interior i prefer no slide for trim
exterior, slide is a must
After about three years for me I start to dislike triming with the new one
still works pretty good but everything gets a little loosy goosy
that one goes outside buy a new one
i am very hard on tools though

·
Smart phone? Scan me!
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
yeah my brushes had burnt marks on em. I just flipped em around after I cleaned em off.
That is when I had smoke rolling out the vent area.. and that naaaaaasty smell of burning??? I dunno saw smell

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
51,713 Posts
Did you let the magic smoke out of your saw.....awwwwwww to bad.

·
Tool Junkie
32 Posts
Me and my guys use Ridgid 12" Compound Miter Slider... It is a H.D. brand, but I like the lifetime warranty.

Just got to fill out registration within 90 days... I wonder what percentage of people actually fill those out...

61 - 78 of 78 Posts