Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

41 - 60 of 78 Posts

·
Banned
846 Posts
It means advancement through technology. It's a semi-famous tag line from Audi.

Reactions: HanerEnterprise

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
Dude, you need to hook that up at your place and use it to finish your azek. Would be an awesome picture for the siding chronicles.
Thats a great idea!:thumbup: I have a detail I want to do on the arch panel on the back of the house. I'll give it a shot.:thumbsup:

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
I see safety is top priority at the loneframers house. I love the pic and want one just like it. :notworthy
That saw is a hand-me-down from my father. It belonged to his father, who used it in their attic to make Christmas toys for his 14 kids.:eek:

cool pics lf...where's the blade guard? :whistling

:laughing:
Ironically, my grandfather lost his thumb in a tablesaw, just not this one.:blink: Who needs a stinkin' bladeguard anyway?:shutup:

·
Banned
356 Posts
My oldest saw...

Well I can't compare (BRAND WISE) but my B&D 7 1/4 is over 30 years old I bought it when I was starting out in remodeling. Actually I charged the lady the price of the saw to cut the bottoms of her doors 1/4" each to allow for her new carpeting. and when I was done she asked me how much a blade was (I didn't know) She gave me an extra $10 to get a replacement blade.

I also have a B&D jigsaw #7504 TYPE 5. I bought it the same week as the 7 1/4.

It's loose where you see the seam in the housing... I don't know whats still holding it together but I still use the heck out of it. The blade is an oversized blade I was using 3 days ago to cut an OGEE on a 2x4. Doesn't look like it but thats the original cord!

·
Registered
738 Posts
My first miter saw was the Hitachi 8 1/2" slider. 18 years old and still works. Needs a new swithch because the brake doesn't work. Beat to hell, the gliding action is rough and it looks old. Still does the job. Best tool I have bought.
put new brushes in it and it'll work fine
GAWD Leo, thought you'd know that:laughing:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Any ideas on how old this is? It's at least 70 years old, but could be more. Still runs too.:thumbsup:

Loneframer, I literally just pulled a saw just like that out of my grandmothers basement. Also found down there was a nice polished wooden box (kind of like a cigar box) that said Irwin on it. Upon opening it I found it was a Bit set, and get this the inside of the box was pretty Irwin Blue felt. I'll see if I can get a picture when im there this weekend.

I about lost my marbles, dont know why but it was pretty sexy.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Ive used DeWalt 12 " ers to cut up many semi loads of 2x CCA and ACQ lumber for apartment balconies. Worked well.

·
Smart phone? Scan me!
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
For the money, bLowes has the DW718 for $519.00. They said they would give me one for 10% off that price, so right around 5 even after tax. That is what I am leaning toward. It is the 12" sliding dual pivot saw. I have a portable table for it already so that is not an issue. I want something that will last me, I bought cheap because that is what I could afford, with a couple jobs coming up it is something I could work into the estimates a bit and have for the future until I could afford an even nicer unit. I wish that Festool was a 12" instead of a 10". And that Milwakee 10" that someone has a thread about.. wish it was bigger, it is the same price. I will see how Dewalt is I guess. Hope to pick it up in the next couple of weeks. I will see if my current saw will allow me to get done with my own place or if it burns up in a big ball of melted metal and plastic. If so I will get pics :thumbup:

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
Loneframer, I literally just pulled a saw just like that out of my grandmothers basement. Also found down there was a nice polished wooden box (kind of like a cigar box) that said Irwin on it. Upon opening it I found it was a Bit set, and get this the inside of the box was pretty Irwin Blue felt. I'll see if I can get a picture when im there this weekend.

I about lost my marbles, dont know why but it was pretty sexy.
OOOHHHH YEAH BABY! First I want to see the saw........and then I wanna see the bits.:eek:

·
Smart phone? Scan me!
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
OOOHHHH YEAH BABY! First I want to see the saw........and then I wanna see the bits.:eek:
Watch it Lone... NATHAN will close this thread down you asking to see his bits :shifty:

:laughing:

Router bits used to come in nice boxes like that, felt lined boxes. I saw some at HD a couple years ago and was like:blink: :w00t: thought it was cool, not just your average plastic snap in case.

·
Registered
58 Posts
unfortunately I think I threw the saw away, but theres a plethora of other old tools I can take pics of, hand cranked drills etc....I'll get pics of whatever I can. I know I kept alot of sexy stuff :thumbup:

Who knows what I'll find when I find the time to clean out her garage.

·
Smart phone? Scan me!
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
My dad and his dad were notorious for keeping old tool boxes with old stickers on them from the earlier days. Loved seeing them. Dad still has some of my granddads stuff after he passed.

stuff like that >>> awesome! The tackle boxes for fishing gear and the actual fishing gear is almost as cool.. if not more cool!

·
Curmudgeon
11,706 Posts
How long do my saws last?

I'll let you know........

(1951)

(1979, and on the job as we speak)

The cords you use have as much
to do with it as does the saw. :thumbsup:

41 - 60 of 78 Posts