Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

21 - 40 of 78 Posts

·
Smart phone? Scan me!
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
The festoolmania will grab you like the girl above....you will spend every last penny you have and anything anyone will loan you....don't do it. :laughing:
:blink: but.. but.. it is so inviting.. and pretty! Festoolmania can't happen to me :shifty:

It is a dynamic brake. How it works is by shorting the motor out and it causes an intense reverse magnetic field in the saw and magnetically brakes it to a stop. When the switch shorts it has a high current across it which usually leads to a large spark (inside the switch unit) after a few years of this it wears the contact out and stops working. I use to be able to get my brake to work by snapping the switch instead of gently releasing it. That action was enough for the contacts to connect and brake the saw. You can try new brushes, they are a lot easier to replace than the switch is.
yeah I took the brushes out and they were "burnt" at one side. Thanks for letting me know about the brake. I didn't know that, very cool :thumbsup:

·
Smart phone? Scan me!
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·

·
Banned
846 Posts
I don't even do carpentry and I want one of those Festool Kapex things. That's a neat looking tool. Maybe I'll hook a garden hose to it and use it to cut pavers.

·
Builder/Remodeler
3,755 Posts
It is a dynamic brake. How it works is by shorting the motor out and it causes an intense reverse magnetic field in the saw and magnetically brakes it to a stop. When the switch shorts it has a high current across it which usually leads to a large spark (inside the switch unit) after a few years of this it wears the contact out and stops working. I use to be able to get my brake to work by snapping the switch instead of gently releasing it. That action was enough for the contacts to connect and brake the saw. You can try new brushes, they are a lot easier to replace than the switch is.

You're the man Leo... Good to know. :thumbsup:

·
Box Builder
6,315 Posts
I've got a Bosch moderate use. Maybe 5 years old. Try to use it just for finish stuff, but you know how that goes. My father just used it for something that should have been done with a dado set and tablesaw. Now when I cut with it it has a burning smell. thanks dad. Other than that saw has been good. Usual brushes and slider bearings and cords is most people have to deal with usually.

·
Pompass Ass
2,090 Posts
My miter is on the way out. I did some simple cuts with it today, by the end of the day that damn thing was smoking! I thought it was going to catch on fire! It is 3 yrs old. :sad: How long do you get out of your saws?
WhaT brand of saw was it?

I have a Dewalt Compound miter saw that is over 15 years old.

I have a Dewalt Compound sliding miter saw that is probably 5 years old.

I have a Milwaukee 7 1/4" circular saw that is over 20 years old.

I have some Dewalt 7 1/4" circular saw that are over 18 years old.

Sawzalls that are 20+ years old.

A friend of mine has a Delta Unisaw probably as old as I am, and I am 44.

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts

Any ideas on how old this is? It's at least 70 years old, but could be more. Still runs too.:thumbsup:

·
Contractor
4,742 Posts
I purchased a slightly used 1st gen Dewalt 12" slider for $400 9 years ago and used it extensively including a lot of metal cutting. rebuilt the entire motor assembly about 5 years ago because of the harsh metal cutting (built a couple of trailers). The new motor and housing parts were around $200, but it's been a great saw, heavy, but great.

I have been eyeballing the new 12" and 10" dewalts but not a necessity. Now if the 10" had much improved dust removal, that would definitely sweeten the pot.

·
I like Green things
23,031 Posts
It's like going out with a super-hot blonde...who's an astro-physicist ... who likes to rub your feet ... and .... just don't do it.
Once I finally bucked up and bought a Rotex and a CT, it was over.

Once you actually own one and use it, you wonder why in the hell you didnt get thier tools years ago.

Just great tools, great service and great people behind the scenes at Festool USA.

·
Smart phone? Scan me!
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·

Don't laugh.. it was the best GMC that lowe's had to offer :( I got it 3 yrs ago for a job I was working on that was not a huge money maker. Put it on a rigid collapsable miter table (LOVE THE TABLE BTW!!) and the rest is history. So I know it isn't the best brand, but has always got me through the jobs I needed to do.

I purchased a slightly used 1st gen Dewalt 12" slider for $400 9 years ago and used it extensively including a lot of metal cutting. rebuilt the entire motor assembly about 5 years ago because of the harsh metal cutting (built a couple of trailers). The new motor and housing parts were around $200, but it's been a great saw, heavy, but great.

I have been eyeballing the new 12" and 10" dewalts but not a necessity. Now if the 10" had much improved dust removal, that would definitely sweeten the pot.
Their features are nice, just not sold on the brand yet.
Once I finally bucked up and bought a Rotex and a CT, it was over.

Once you actually own one and use it, you wonder why in the hell you didnt get thier tools years ago.

Just great tools, great service and great people behind the scenes at Festool USA.
I need to check it out. Festool is totally USA built right? That gives me a chub just thinking about it

Quit it....you're going to let the rest of them know...it's a green kool-aid secret...pretty soon everyone will know the secret handshake...just stop. :shifty:
hater :rolleyes:

·
Banned
846 Posts
Vorsprung Durch Technik.

21 - 40 of 78 Posts