Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Smart phone? Scan me!
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My miter is on the way out. I did some simple cuts with it today, by the end of the day that damn thing was smoking! I thought it was going to catch on fire! It is 3 yrs old. :sad: How long do you get out of your saws?

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
I bought the DeWalt 12" compound mitersaw when it first came out. It is the Type 1. It's 15 years old and I put brushes in it about 5 years ago. It chopped wall parts and plates for about 7 of those years, after it got a little sloppy for trim. I still use it regularly.:thumbsup: I also have one that I bought to replace that for trimwork that is about 7 years old that is trouble free except for the cord. I think it is type 4A, but i could be wrong.:clap:

·
Smart phone? Scan me!
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Man. I was looking at those this weekend. I want one, but Dewalt, the brand, has me paranoid of failure. I see rebuilt Dewalt all over the place.. just not sure about them, but I like the double tilt sliding 12", large fence and all.. pretty slick, like the quick select button and lock feature on it. My next saw I am already planning on spending some GOOD money on :)

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
Man. I was looking at those this weekend. I want one, but Dewalt, the brand, has me paranoid of failure. I see rebuilt Dewalt all over the place.. just not sure about them, but I like the double tilt sliding 12", large fence and all.. pretty slick, like the quick select button and lock feature on it. My next saw I am already planning on spending some GOOD money on :)
I don't own a slider yet, but have used the DeWalts regularly. The newer version with horizontal rails has some nice features and the one I've been using, which belongs to the GC, is about 3 years old and gets used heavily for Azek.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
492 Posts
I have the new Dewalt 12" slider and love it. I used my fathers (the Type 1 like Loneframer's) for years and never had a problem with it coming out of square or this blade wobble which so many people seem to complain about. I think I like the original Type 1 better than mine, but it might be from all the years I spent in front of it. Although for $400 I can't complain about mine.

·
Builder/Remodeler
3,755 Posts
My DeWalt stuff has held up very well.

I've owned two of the 12" compound miter saws (the first was stolen).

My current is the dual compound high boy. We don't do enough exterior trim work to justify the slider. Plus they are heavy as hell and a PITA to haul around without getting banged up.

·
Builder/Remodeler
3,755 Posts
The new Mac 10" is kind of nice.

I like my Bosch 12" a lot, mounted on an old msuv.

There is this pretty girl that has been catching my eye and flirting with me here lately:

I think she is just after my wallet, just like all the other lady's.

MMM...nice curves... She's hot.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
51,595 Posts
My first miter saw was the Hitachi 8 1/2" slider. 18 years old and still works. Needs a new swithch because the brake doesn't work. Beat to hell, the gliding action is rough and it looks old. Still does the job. Best tool I have bought.

·
Smart phone? Scan me!
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My first miter saw was the Hitachi 8 1/2" slider. 18 years old and still works. Needs a new swithch because the brake doesn't work. Beat to hell, the gliding action is rough and it looks old. Still does the job. Best tool I have bought.
so the brake actually works because of the switch? Mine now has "brake" issues, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

You guys need to quit droolin' over my gal :whistling
:laughing:

she is pretty damn sexy! How much does it cost to bring her home?:w00t:

·
Banned
9,058 Posts
It's like going out with a super-hot blonde...who's an astro-physicist ... who likes to rub your feet ... and .... just don't do it.
The festoolmania will grab you like the girl above....you will spend every last penny you have and anything anyone will loan you....don't do it. :laughing:

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
51,595 Posts
so the brake actually works because of the switch? Mine now has "brake" issues, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.
It is a dynamic brake. How it works is by shorting the motor out and it causes an intense reverse magnetic field in the saw and magnetically brakes it to a stop. When the switch shorts it has a high current across it which usually leads to a large spark (inside the switch unit) after a few years of this it wears the contact out and stops working. I use to be able to get my brake to work by snapping the switch instead of gently releasing it. That action was enough for the contacts to connect and brake the saw. You can try new brushes, they are a lot easier to replace than the switch is.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts