Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Boondockian
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In other words, how long since the frame was sound enough to be sold by a used car dealer as a roadworthy vehicle?

Both pics are of the passengers side, the drivers side is worse and actually broken apart.

·
Nouveau Eccentric
2,100 Posts
Long enough!
Was it inspected?
Look up the inspection station's, station # and pay them a visit.

If the dealer has an inspection license and they did it, you may have a chance.

Although, it probably goes to "buyer beware"... Sorry. :sad:

D.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Quite some time... Thats much worse than the frame on my 93 chevy that I parked 2 years ago. Your fault if you bought it though man. Don't trust a salesman or anyone else to know what they are selling.

·
Boondockian
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Long enough!
Was it inspected?
Look up the inspection station's, station # and pay them a visit.

If the dealer has an inspection license and they did it, you may have a chance.

Although, it probably goes to "buyer beware"... Sorry. :sad:

D.
The dealer took it somewhere to have it inspected. Picked it up the 2nd of December. I'm supposed to go discuss my concerns with the dealers mechanic next Friday.

My brother's a mechanic at a Toyota dealership and looked at it today and said it could potentially cost the dealer and inspector there licenses for having sold it in that condition.

·
Boondockian
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here are the relavant inspection procedures from the inspectors handbook.

4. Visually inspect chassis/frame or primary
4.i. The front wheels are visually out of line.
uni-body member for general condition.
ii. Any axle or front end assembly is bent
(Amended 9/1/04)
or twisted.
iii. Chassis/frame or primary uni-body
member is severely rusted at suspension
attachment points. (Amended 8/13/03)
iv. Bolts or rivets are loose, missing or in a
deteriorated condition due to rust.
v. Chassis/frame or primary uni-body
member is cracked or broken. (Amended 8/13/03)

·
Registered
Remodel
31,102 Posts
That wasn't rusted through making holes, most likely. It was about to go, and they sprayed it - maybe Rustoleum, who knows - and sold it. That's my guess. Basically, it was paper thin if not already rust still holding in place (it will do that, but you can pick it apart with your fingers). You can tell it by tapping, even if it's painted over. Just because it looks solid, that doesn't mean you can't stick a finger through it. Mechanics also know that.

·
Registered
7,079 Posts
The dealer took it somewhere to have it inspected. Picked it up the 2nd of December. I'm supposed to go discuss my concerns with the dealers mechanic next Friday.

My brother's a mechanic at a Toyota dealership and looked at it today and said it could potentially cost the dealer and inspector there licenses for having sold it in that condition.

I was going to ask if that was a Toyota frame.....

·
Boondockian
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Premium Member
Honolulu, Hawaii
18,452 Posts
Man that's bad. That road salt is bad. It takes a really long time for that to happen here but we have no road salt.

·
Boondockian
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Well, I went to see the dealer today. They seem to think they can fix it.

The section of frame that is severely rusted(in the pictures) is the tail end of the frame rails where the rear bumper bolts on. The wavy part in the pictures is actually part of the inner bumper.The rest of the the car isn't anywhere near this bad.

There claim is that since the damage is behind the rear suspension attachment points, it is repairable and not a reason to fail an inspection. An inspection guy was there and said the same thing. I suspected that might be the case from a reading of the inspectors handbook but my brother who's getting his inspection license soon said no.

Their plan is to screw a metal plate to the frame rail up where its still solid and attach the bumper to that.

·
Nouveau Eccentric
2,100 Posts
That will be a nice place to harbor moisture and salt.
It will however garner you some time to find another, better vehicle.
Especially now, with your new found inspection skills.

I'd be taking it back to the dealer or the inspection guy they had there, if you still have it next year.
Probably won't pass anywhere else.

Sounds like your brother knows his stuff. Take him with you on your next purchase.

Good luck to ya,
D.

·
Boondockian
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
That will be a nice place to harbor moisture and salt.
It will however garner you some time to find another, better vehicle.
Especially now, with your new found inspection skills.

I'd be taking it back to the dealer or the inspection guy they had there, if you still have it next year.
Probably won't pass anywhere else.

Sounds like your brother knows his stuff. Take him with you on your next purchase.

Good luck to ya,
D.
I've had the inspection skills for a while. The petting zoo lady bought me the car and wouldn't hear no for an answer. She was in a hurry to spend the money and it was the first car we looked at.

I have a place that will pass just about anything.

Plan is to run it this summer and save up funds for something else.

·
Registered
585 Posts
If its just what holds the bumper on I don't see it being a big deal... I pictured it as being behind the passenger side front wheel, right under the passenger door basically.

I'm just an avid "Saturday morning mechanic" but my opinion is that it isn't much of a safety issue, might affect a rear collision to some extent but it is what it is and I doubt the car is much of a showpiece.

·
Boondockian
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If its just what holds the bumper on I don't see it being a big deal... I pictured it as being behind the passenger side front wheel, right under the passenger door basically.

I'm just an avid "Saturday morning mechanic" but my opinion is that it isn't much of a safety issue, might affect a rear collision to some extent but it is what it is and I doubt the car is much of a showpiece.
The car doesn't show much rust on the surface, just underneath. The passengers side rocker is rotted too but thats typicl since the plasic cover they came with holds salt/water right against the metal.

·
Head Grunt
3,270 Posts
IMO you need to take that car elsewhere! Although the rot is behind any suspension point does not mean there is no stress. That is the main support for the body itself to keep the body rigid for normal driving and strong in an impact. Sure it can be repaired but there comes a time where the expense of a "proper" repair will exceed the value of the car. Sounds to me like these guys are trying to BS you and weld in some used supports from a junkyard wreck to keep you happy and in the car. How is the K frame in the front? Strut towers? Brake/fuel lines? That car has been in the salt for yrs with no cleaning and i am 100% sure it was rotted like that when they got it. I am willing to bet this car failed inspection and was either put to auction or they just opted to fail it to make a sale and chose to resell this anyway. I think your dealing with very shady folks up there!

·
The Ultimate Wire Hider
4,455 Posts
Let's be realistic here. I think that if the inspector failed my truck and I couldn't get it titled or get tags as a result of the failed inspection, I would probably have a few choice words for the guy saying that he was being nit-picky over a little bit of rust. :laughing:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts