Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How long did it take to get going where you felt you were going to make it
once you decided to work for yourself ?

Did you have another job and start part-time ?
Or did you lose a job and just start doing what you are and eventually that grew into what it is today ?

·
Back from the dead...
6,646 Posts
I always knew i would make it, but the numbers didn't necessarily reflect that thought! It took about 4-5 years before the phone started ringing on a consistent basis, and i had my pricing/sales pitch etc. down pat. Alot of lean times before that, but you got to expect that to be able to live the American dream.

I worked for another company, and the 2 bosses started screwing up royally. One was a drunk, the other was a coke fiend. One day I had enough and said I'm outta here. And here I am.

·
Custom Builder
4,406 Posts
To get going? ...........which time?

The bounce usually consumes about a year and a half.

Starting out new to the biz?..... I don't really remember.....I under and over-ed it as a sub and employee......that lasted about 3 years.

Bob

·
Registered
378 Posts
ProWallGuy said:
I always knew i would make it, but the numbers didn't necessarily reflect that thought! It took about 4-5 years before the phone started ringing on a consistent basis, and i had my pricing/sales pitch etc. down pat. Alot of lean times before that, but you got to expect that to be able to live the American dream.

I worked for another company, and the 2 bosses started screwing up royally. One was a drunk, the other was a coke fiend. One day I had enough and said I'm outta here. And here I am.
Prowall,that 5 years seems to be about the time you either start raking it in or throw in the towel.It took me about 3 years to develope a plan to run my business on and another two to implement it this is as opposed to the usual newbie contractor scheme of i will just charge half of what everyone else is and provide double the service.

·
Banned
3,292 Posts
I went out once on my own when I thought I knew it all. LOL
Now I have alot more contacts and probably would never starve. I can be a hot commodity when I want to be I have guys that I thought I torched the bridge with that want me back. Not burn torch. :cool:

But the moral of the story network network network. There will be guys you know that will give you job contacts if they are real busy. And put good word in for you too. :Thumbs:

·
Painting Contractor
1,176 Posts
We're still getting going... It will be 2 years in April '06.

We kept our jobs throughout the "planning stages," but had our notice in for the date we would comence working on the business full time.

·
Registered
5 Posts
It's tough but you can do it!

My husband and I just started our own construction company. Just like the other reply said we got tired of working for morons. Since we were both in the industry we have alot of contacts. We have been able to get a decent amount of work on owr own and we work as a subcontractor to other companies. It works out like a work share agreement. When I don't have work I call them and when they don't have work they call me. It's worked out as a lucrative agreement with a farily steady schedule.

We kept working for other people until our business was fully set up; corpoation filed, licences complete and insurance complete. It take awhile for all the paperwork to come through.

Good luck to you!

·
Back from the dead...
6,646 Posts
bergenbldr said:
Prowall,that 5 years seems to be about the time you either start raking it in or throw in the towel.
I am actually proud it only took 5 years. When I left Company X, I had:

Hand tools > some
Large equipment > no
Marketing plan > huh?
Advertising budget > LOL
Start up money > zero
Customer database/references > zilch
Bookkeeping know-how > none
Acounting skills > nada
Employees/help > zip
Business plan > whats a business plan?
On-the-wall technical experience > a $hitload
Common sense > apparently just enough
The brains to seek out information to overcome my weaknesses > thankfully
The ambition/driveto become what I am today > 100 %

Felt like 50 years though sometimes.

·
FRAME ON!
1,653 Posts
I started my company 7 years ago and shut it down one time due to personal reasons . I moved about 50 miles from where I used to live . Im telling you 50 miles is a big difference . I framed alot of homes down in my new area . But I tell you what It was hard to get going again . I felt like I was brand new again . So if you really want to start your own business I agree with the above statement . NETWORK NETWORK NETWORK. Just keep your people happy build great contacts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Well, I am truly a rookie then when it comes to buisness. I just got started this past april. I can say that out of the 6 months or so in buisness i have worked about 4.5 months and had about 1.5 months without work. I don't know if this is good or bad but when i don't have work, I go out and meet with real estate agents and general contractors and offer them my services, they might call the next day or perhaps next year, but at least I make the effort to get to know them. Anyways I don't know where I will end up eventually, I know where I want to end up (being a successful painting contractor) but we will see. So if there are any Norhtern California general contracors in here in need of a good painting contractor to hire let me know.

·
Registered
11 Posts
It depends on how ambitious and organized you are. Theres work out there, lots of it. You just have to know how to get the job. Marketing is probably the most important aspect in the begining, do as much advertising as possible, and learn how to sell yourself. Your pitch is very important, anticipate customers questions and know how to answer them properly. Its all psychological man.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Im in my 5th year of running a business. 2 years I was partnered with my brother everything was progressing as planned then he fell into a drug habit & I had to split the partnership. Then the last three years I've been partnered with a good friend of mine. Everything was again progressing well & now he has become very unmotivated & drinks a lot. So now I will be starting all over again going into next season with no partners. This has been a lesson hard learned for me. Moral of the story, be careful if you have business partners, in my expierence it seems lke the harder road to take.

·
Registered
11 Posts
AHS said:
Moral of the story, be careful if you have business partners, in my expierence it seems lke the harder road to take.
TRUTH!!

You know what they say, if you want something done right you gotta do it yourself. The only reason to have a partner is right at the beginning and only if you're low on funds. Otherwise I dont think I could trust the well being of my success on somebody else.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts