Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
General Contractor
8,051 Posts
I've been thinking about getting a website up and running for a while now. This is what I have so far. Still trying to decide on a domain name so for now it's www.daleyconstruction.weebly.com Let me know how I did
Looks good for an amateur site and good enough to get your point across why you there. Make everything smaller... things like fonts and message boxes look much better when you use right proportions in relation to everything else, specially now when many use iPad or phones to view websites. Background make also smaller, the min you open your page is like getting a smack with a 2x, it overpowers the whole concept.
Center main content on the page since you made the background fixed. There is allot more you can do, just look at some other sides and you will get the basic idea or you can find already made pages and all you have to do is change the wording.

Good luck

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
greg24k said:
Looks good for an amateur site and good enough to get your point across why you there. Make everything smaller... things like fonts and message boxes look much better when you use right proportions in relation to everything else, specially now when many use iPad or phones to view websites. Background make also smaller, the min you open your page is like getting a smack with a 2x, it overpowers the whole concept. Center main content on the page since you made the background fixed. There is allot more you can do, just look at some other sides and you will get the basic idea or you can find already made pages and all you have to do is change the wording. Good luck
Thanks i played around with some filters for the background and I agree it looks better now with it being less bold behind the text

I also have a mobile version that makes it simpler for phones and tables

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi Jason,

Congrats on putting together your website! I would suggest a couple of things to make your site even better. I would add some more text on the page with your keywords that people are searching for online. Additionally for SEO, I would go through your site and add title tags, meta tags, links, etc to the different pages. By completing both of these your on page SEO should be a bit stronger.

When a customer arrives at your site, why are they there? Probably to get more information about your company, services, pricing, etc. Perhaps you could provide them with some type of "give-away" a free download, a design guide, etc, so that you would be able to capture that customer's information. I know that you have a form on your site, but it is really general (get more info)...perhaps a free short ebook about one of your services would be great for customers.

Hope this helps!

Let me know if you have any other questions.

All the best,

·
Registered
585 Posts
Heave is spelled wrong in the blurb about fences... Also in the contact us page the title for the contact form reads "inquirie(mispelled) about a project" instead of "inquire about a project" on the home page. Just some proofreading, no disrespect...

I think it looks alright... I'm in the process of building my website aswell so I'll be following along.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
NCMCarpentry said:
Heave is spelled wrong in the blurb about fences... Also in the contact us page the title for the contact form reads "inquirie(mispelled) about a project" instead of "inquire about a project" on the home page. Just some proofreading, no disrespect... I think it looks alright... I'm in the process of building my website aswell so I'll be following along.
I really appreciate the proof reading. That by far is one of my weaknesses

·
Registered
8,139 Posts
The gallery would be ok, but not on service or the home page imo. Even still moderation is key, pick your battle with that, less is more.

·
Registered
8,139 Posts
If it were me I would buy your domain name and move it to wordpress. If you want your site to make you money this will be a minimum first step. If you just want a online photo album then its fine.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
JBM said:
If it were me I would buy your domain name and move it to wordpress. If you want your site to make you money this will be a minimum first step. If you just want a online photo album then its fine.
I plan on buying a domain just not sure what I want to use for a domain yet.

What would be the benefit of moving it to word press?

·
Hair Splitter
18,330 Posts
Mine is not wordpress and I make money. I use it for an online photo gallery. Most find me on Yelp and then navigate to my site and love my work.

I'm am really beginning to think that guys that spend lots of $$$ on their site and SEO can't see any other way.

·
Registered
8,139 Posts
I plan on buying a domain just not sure what I want to use for a domain yet.

What would be the benefit of moving it to word press?
It is a better platform, better seo can be used with it, better photo galleries, better sliders, more options, future proof, can be highly customized.

·
Registered
8,139 Posts
Mine is not wordpress and I make money. I use it for an online photo gallery. Most find me on Yelp and then navigate to my site and love my work.

I'm am really beginning to think that guys that spend lots of $$$ on their site and SEO can't see any other way.
Your site is looking pretty good too Rob.

There are many ways to get work and stay busy. The best way is the one you put your heart into and do well at.

·
Registered
8,139 Posts
Okay, I can let a lot slide but that statement is BS. Nothing is future proof and it's just plain ignorant to claim anything is.
If you hire a web guy tomorrow the first thing he will do is install wordpress, weebly wont even be future proof enough for 1 day with a pro.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts