Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Livin the dream...
6,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Pic attached.

Remove old shower. Replace with 46"x46"x78" basic tile shower. Remove Carpet and replace with basic floor tile.

HO will remove shower, flooring, and base before job commencement. HO is basically looking for tile work, plumbing fixture work, and shower door.

What would you do different? Am I on track?

Tile Shower Estimate
Day 1
o Site Setup
o Remove drywall.
o Add additional framing.
o Adjust Plumbing fixures.
o Replace drywall with 1/2" CBU.
o Remove toilet.
Day 2
o Apply Kerdi membrane to shower walls.
o Lay, bed, screw ¼” CBU on floor.
Day 3
o Lay tile on shower walls
Day 4
o Install shower tray and curb.
o Complete Kerdi membrane installation around tray and curb.
o Begin bathroom floor tile installation on back side of bathroom.
Day 5
o Install shower floor tile/bottom tile row/drain assembly.
o Finish bathroom floor tile installation.
Day 6
o Grout tile.
Day 7
o Final Cleaning.
o Install Plumbing Fixtures
o Reset Toilet
o Apply Grout Sealer

Attachments

·
Registered
Design/Build Remodeling
6,590 Posts
Spencer, I’m a little confused.

• Are you doing the plumbing (“Adjust Plumbing Fixtures”)?
• What’s this “tray and curb” being installed?
• Why are you tiling the walls then the “tray”?
• Are there no inspections needed?

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
Overall time frame looks good... Just curious about the order of operations as are the others..

·
General Contractor
499 Posts
DaVinciRemodel said:
Are there no inspections needed?
I would have thought rough plumbing, 24 hr pan leak test, then final.

If doing any niche or listellos give yourself more than a day to tile walls.

I see your leaving bottom row off until pan install. Why not just do all the kerdi at same time?

·
Registered
Design/Build Remodeling
6,590 Posts
I think Timeless – SFO and I are all concerned about the order and I’m concerned that you have enough time available. With the project you described, I would have 5 inspections costing me 4 days.

Do you have any inspections to account for in your timeline?

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Sorry for being confused, I'll try to be helpful. A few pertinent questions and comments are:

1) If this is your first bath remodel with these elements (I'm not sure of your experience level), then the overall time might be reasonable to a little optimistic - depending on the tile and layout and your experience with tile, you might need more than one day to tile the walls.
2) Tell us more about the pan/tray/floor. What are you using?
3) Because you want water to drain from the walls into the pan, you're more likely to install the pan first, then some part of the walls and membranes, then tile both. It depends on what you're using.
4) So what are the details?

- Bob

·
Talking Head
5,388 Posts
My bet is that Spencer is using a Kerdi Shower Kit where the walls are installed and get the membrane before the pan is installed and wants to get the walls tiled before installing the pan to avoid damage. It's not a bad idea but throwing a dropcloth and a scrap piece of ply/foam/cbu over the pan will protect it and help with layout.

Spencer, we need to know how much tiling you've done before, what tile you're installing and the pattern. Those are some BIG factors. Also, are there any niches, shelves or benches?

None of my bathrooms ever go that fast with a full tile shower but I usually have at least three different tiles, niches, weird tile patterns, paint, new vanity, etc. I think you're being pretty optimistic for a bathroom novice. I think you should plan on two full weeks(10 days) and count yourself lucky if you hit that number.

If you are using the existing plumbing locations then you can get away with one inspection around here or even no inspections in some towns. Full renos are three inspections. They care far more about structural or utility changes. You should always check in your town though.

PS- Check into urethane grout if you haven't already. You also forgot to put the silicone step in there.

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
The other guys pretty much have everything else covered. I would probly add two days to that time frame if it were me, but I'm also a little slow:laughing:

After reading Ethans post, I would have to agree. Deffinetly make it two weeks.

Dave

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
6,499 Posts
All good stuff here.

One other thing...

I don't know if the days run consecutively, but cement grout usually takes 72 hours to cure before applying a sealer.

·
Chief Reporter of Spam
6,643 Posts
My bet is that Spencer is using a Kerdi Shower Kit where the walls are installed and get the membrane before the pan is installed and wants to get the walls tiled before installing the pan to avoid damage. It's not a bad idea but throwing a dropcloth and a scrap piece of ply/foam/cbu over the pan will protect it and help with layout
Probably the right answer. Tons of setters do this but never bring it up at the forums because of being blamed for not flood testing :whistling::rolleyes:

·
Livin the dream...
6,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Spencer, I’m a little confused.

• Are you doing the plumbing (“Adjust Plumbing Fixtures”)?

Depends on how involved it is. My dad is 25 yr licensed plumber. He will do it if I don't.

Tub spout will need to be dealt with and possibly tweak the drain location slightly.

• What’s this “tray and curb” being installed?

Kerdi Shower kit. I have done a standard pan liner with pre-sloped mud bed in the past. I'm looking to venture into kerdi land. I feel I can provide a better shower with the Kerdi system at this point.

• Why are you tiling the walls then the “tray”?

In order to eliminate any possible damage to the tray/membrane that covers it by installing it later. I think I may take Ethan's advice and install the tray/curb/all membrane at the same time as everything else and just cover it carefully.

• Are there no inspections needed?

No inspections are needed.

·
Livin the dream...
6,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My bet is that Spencer is using a Kerdi Shower Kit where the walls are installed and get the membrane before the pan is installed and wants to get the walls tiled before installing the pan to avoid damage. It's not a bad idea but throwing a dropcloth and a scrap piece of ply/foam/cbu over the pan will protect it and help with layout.

Spencer, we need to know how much tiling you've done before, what tile you're installing and the pattern. Those are some BIG factors. Also, are there any niches, shelves or benches?

None of my bathrooms ever go that fast with a full tile shower but I usually have at least three different tiles, niches, weird tile patterns, paint, new vanity, etc. I think you're being pretty optimistic for a bathroom novice. I think you should plan on two full weeks(10 days) and count yourself lucky if you hit that number.

If you are using the existing plumbing locations then you can get away with one inspection around here or even no inspections in some towns. Full renos are three inspections. They care far more about structural or utility changes. You should always check in your town though.

PS- Check into urethane grout if you haven't already. You also forgot to put the silicone step in there.
Thanks Ethan. Great advice.

I have have done 10k sq ft plus of floor tile. This is my second shower. Here is a link to some pics of my previous shower. I used the standard pan liner/mud bed method on this one.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.718967784794661.1073741828.713938041964302&type=1

HO wants a ball park figure so I'm quoting them the basics. They are nice people/customers. They just need to know an idea of what they are looking at before they decide how to proceed. I'm quoting a basic tile installation without niches etc. I'll probably add a little to my first quote knowing they will be added on so they don't look so expensive later.

I was thinking of figuring 9 day but I'll go 10. I'm not looking to get rich on this one. Its a nice looking bath that Id like to add to my portfolio, and a good first timer to try out the kerdi system.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Nine days should be plenty to build a shower and tile the floor of the bath---

I've never used the Schluter system--but I believe the installation of the walls and pan--and lining can be done in a day---

Adjusting the plumbing? I assume the mixer valve will be replaced---is that the 'adjustment' that you speak of?

Typical shower tile takes two to three days---one for walls--one for the floor--and adding the feature tiles to the wall---third day for grout---

We use epoxy grout----that stuff has a learning curve----the urethane grouts are supposed to be good--I have never sold that product due to the long setting time required--

If the floor tile is set before you grout the shower--that can be done at the same time as grouting the shower---

Are you painting and repairing /replacing any drywall?

New fan/light--any electrical upgrades? Floor trim-door casing?

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
One small tip for a newbie---buy a roll of carpet protector---that is like a 30" wide roll of Scotch tape----use that to protect the carpet outside of the bath---

A lot of trouble can be prevented with that ---thinset will wreck a rug in a hurry---

·
Livin the dream...
6,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Nine days should be plenty to build a shower and tile the floor of the bath---

I've never used the Schluter system--but I believe the installation of the walls and pan--and lining can be done in a day---

Adjusting the plumbing? I assume the mixer valve will be replaced---is that the 'adjustment' that you speak of?

I had a brain fart. For some reason I had the shower pictured as a tub unit with a tub spout. Never mind that one. The house isn't very old, I don't plan on messing with the mixing valve if it isn't necessary.

Typical shower tile takes two to three days---one for walls--one for the floor--and adding the feature tiles to the wall---third day for grout---

We use epoxy grout----that stuff has a learning curve----the urethane grouts are supposed to be good--I have never sold that product due to the long setting time required--

I used epoxy grout on my other shower. I will try and sell them on it. I remember the "learning curve." Kind of a pain to work with.

If the floor tile is set before you grout the shower--that can be done at the same time as grouting the shower---

Are you painting and repairing /replacing any drywall?

No paint. No drywall work. I'm going to cut out what I need and that's it. HO will take care of touch up work.

New fan/light--any electrical upgrades? Floor trim-door casing?

No electric work being added. I'll door casing as needed with muli master and lay tile underneath. Base installation is not part of the quote at this time.
Thanks Mike

·
Livin the dream...
6,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
At what point should silicon be applied to corners? Any other advice with that?

I've never looked into the urethane grout. I'll do that.

·
Super Moderator
28,876 Posts
I don't have any advice that somebody else hasn't already mentioned. I know you'll do a great job, Spencer.

Personally, I always replace the mixing valve no matter what when I do a shower. There is no reason not to, they're inexpensive enough, and the tile backer board are already off.

·
DO IT RIGHT
107 Posts
The order of your work,which has been scrutinized,seems out of whack.Just wanted to say,I try not to participate in projects where the HO wants to do their own demo.Every time,never fails,we get there and its not ready.Inform customer price is going up before opening truck.Nick

1 - 20 of 21 Posts