Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a residential and commercial contractor that decided to hang it all up and go back to school to finish my BA in Const. Eng. I was trying to get super jobs with comm companies and felt a lack of education was holding me back. Do large comm companies see value in masters degrees?

·
Pompass Ass
2,090 Posts
I am a residential and commercial contractor that decided to hang it all up and go back to school to finish my BA in Const. Eng. I was trying to get super jobs with comm companies and felt a lack of education was holding me back. Do large comm companies see value in masters degrees?
The way things are going I doubt you will have much a chance at any decent job without a college degree.

There is a young woman that work's fork a client of mine and she has an MBA from UF, she must be pretty smart, and it impressed me, so I would think a masters would be impressive to propsective employers.

I don't have a degree and am now too busy to get one, but it couldn't hurt to get all the education, degrees, certifications and licenses you can.

·
Registered
6,102 Posts
I have a brother in law who after high school started working for a software company. After 10 yrs, he was the president. He just retired, at 44, a millionare.

Bottom line is - it's all up to the individual. Education is great, but it won't guarantee success. And the flip side - lack of an education doesn't necessarily hold you back.

·
Pompass Ass
2,090 Posts
I have a brother in law who after high school started working for a software company. After 10 yrs, he was the president. He just retired, at 44, a millionare.

Bottom line is - it's all up to the individual. Education is great, but it won't guarantee success. And the flip side - lack of an education doesn't necessarily hold you back.
About 16 years ago my neighbor who worked in the computer field as an IT tech lost his job because the company passed a new rule that everyone working in the IT department had to have a degree.

The President of a software company I work for owns the company and he has an MBA from Duke, and has a lot of PHd's that work for hime and they have a stack of patents, most of his employees have degrees, a lot of people with Masters, and PHd's work for him.

I don't think they will even consider hiring an associate software engineer without a degree.

Most police departments won't hire a pesron unless they have a 2 year degree.

A degree doesn't make you more intelligent, but more and more companies are requiring College Degrees.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
My best hand was a biologist! He had a tendency to lie alot though. He decided he was better off on his own. I think he's working under the table doing odd jobs now.

·
Registered
6,102 Posts
Don't get me wrong. I am all for furthering your education. All I'm saying is that it is not necessarily a pre-requisite.

In my brother in laws case, he is very sharp, great insights, and was basically too valuable to the company to ever let go, even though he didn't have that 'formal' education.

Just one example.

·
Pompass Ass
2,090 Posts
Don't get me wrong. I am all for furthering your education. All I'm saying is that it is not necessarily a pre-requisite.

In my brother in laws case, he is very sharp, great insights, and was basically too valuable to the company to ever let go, even though he didn't have that 'formal' education.

Just one example.
I wonder how easy it will be for your BIL to get another job like he just retired from without a college degree.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I guess what it comes down to is that I felt I could further my resume and experience better at a university than working for someone in this enviroment or struggling on my own as I had for about 2 yrs. I moved to Austin from FL in 07 and could never get on my feet.

·
Registered
6,102 Posts
I wonder how easy it will be for your BIL to get another job like he just retired from without a college degree.
He doesn't need to work anymore. But if he chose to, he would start his own business. No formal education needed.

The OP said he was in the contracting business. Lots of successfull contractors out there who do not have a higher education.

Like I said, I am all for education. If your goals are to get hired on at a large construction firm, then yes, get all the education you can.

Just pointing out that it is not a necessity. There are lots of ways to make a living.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I see a better future in the commercial const industry and to me it seemed that everybody hiring wanted supers and pm with a degree. So, rather than just survive until the economy turns around, I have gone back to school and will grauate spring of 2011. My masters will come after that if I have the resolve or feel it will be worth it.

·
Pompass Ass
2,090 Posts
He doesn't need to work anymore. But if he chose to, he would start his own business. No formal education needed.

The OP said he was in the contracting business. Lots of successfull contractors out there who do not have a higher education.

Like I said, I am all for education. If your goals are to get hired on at a large construction firm, then yes, get all the education you can.

Just pointing out that it is not a necessity. There are lots of ways to make a living.
I agree with not needing a degree if you own your own business, I don't have a degree, but I own my own business.

I think a college degree would have made me a better contractor, not on the technical side so much but on the business side.

at 44 your BIL will be back to work in a year or so, way to young not to keep busy and I am sure if he is as succesful as you say he was, he did not just work 40 hours a week, so he is used to putting in long hours.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
College is a great place to build networking skills...as it turns out this is as important as an actual education. You need to hone your BS skills too because as everyone knows..it's not just what you know that counts...its who thinks you know.

·
Pompass Ass
2,090 Posts
I see a better future in the commercial const industry and to me it seemed that everybody hiring wanted supers and pm with a degree. So, rather than just survive until the economy turns around, I have gone back to school and will grauate spring of 2011. My masters will come after that if I have the resolve or feel it will be worth it.
Right now is not a good time to be a superintendant, I have heard of many supers who were making 100k plus, now lucky to be working for 50k.

It will get better eventually, hopefully by the time you get your degree, also a construction related degree can be used for experience in getting a Florida Contractors license.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yea, I got a FL contractors license about 4 yrs ago but did nothing with it b/c the market had dried up and my drywall business was rocking and rolling.

·
Registered
6,102 Posts
Actually, the way the economy is right now, it is maybe not a bad idea to spend the next couple of years furthering your education.

Then when the economy is in better shape, you will have even better credentials to to job hunting with.

·
Registered
377 Posts
education is always a good thing, and fun as well. Look at it as an investment, if you're going to use it, spend the money and get it. If not, then maybe some part time courses/programs that are specific to your interests. Bettering oneself is always admirable and can be good for business.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts