Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
YOURE FIRED heres your last pay check now get youre lazy butt off my job site and never come back

does any body else get rid of these guys like i do or do you do it another way if so tell us ur story

...............................................................................................
:clap:measure twice cut once:clap:carpenters make it happen:clap::notworthy:party::thumbup:

·
Registered
7,185 Posts
It is extremely rare that I have had the necessity to fire any employee.

But, many have fired themselves through the years.

I just ask them, if they knew which one of the rules they did not follow. They usually sheepishly admit to it and I inform them that they knew the consequences if that happened and that I was truly hoping that thye would not do that to themselves.

Ed

·
Super Moderator
10,672 Posts
Firing people sucks and I hate it. If its done after a few days or weeks, its not as bad. After a while, most of these guys I would consider my friend as well as my employee. I have been doing this long enough however to know when somebody's time is up. Business is business and this is just part of it. Most of the time it doesn't come as a complete surprise either.

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
It is much more fun and not very difficult to get someone to choose to leave my employ. For example, if you are late, you get middleman position for pumping up all the lumber. (Benefit of not owning a lift.) If you can't keep pace, you go in the crawlspace to staple off bridging or set hangers. If you milk one of these jobs, you will spend the rest of the day elbow to elbow with me. That is usually the breaking point. If you can't keep up with a 43 year old man, you are done.:furious:

Reactions: FramerCharlie

·
Super Moderator
10,672 Posts
It is much more fun and not very difficult to get someone to choose to leave my employ. For example, if you are late, you get middleman position for pumping up all the lumber. (Benefit of not owning a lift.) If you can't keep pace, you go in the crawlspace to staple off bridging or set hangers. If you milk one of these jobs, you will spend the rest of the day elbow to elbow with me. That is usually the breaking point. If you can't keep up with a 43 year old man, you are done.:furious:

Hence the name..... LONE Framer!

·
Registered
189 Posts
Thom, I thought that was absolutely hysterical and I'm not easily amused. Just to let you know I'm going to plagiarize the **** out of that line. Let me know what you want in royalties per usage.

·
Registered
7,185 Posts
What I did one time, way in the past, when I was much more of a sadistic prick, was just give the guy I was letting go the address of his next jo.

Here is where you go tomorrow.

Show up at 51 Fountain Square Plaza in Elgin.

I wonder if they gave him any work to this day?

It is the address for the Unemployment office.

Ed

·
153 Posts
Me-------------- Knock Knock -----

Employee---------- Who's there? -----

Me---------------- Not you anymore -----

It usually takes a second but they get it.

·
Pompass Ass
2,090 Posts
We use day laborers for general help and clean up, and if I want to get rid of one of them I tell my lead guy "get a good look at him, he won't be back tommorow" then Vinny knows what to do.

Either that or I call up the labor service and tell them to come pick the guy up, the last guy I did that to couldn't understand how to pick up trash around a building, then he turned a 1-2 hour job into an all day event.

I had one guy ask me what time it was, I asked him why, you have a date?

He said no, I am having the place across the street make me some chicken, this was at 10:00am.

I asked him why the chicken crossed the street, he said he didn't know why, I said to find another job.

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
I know this guy who has 50-60 people work for him and he was always going through people. The other workers would tell the new people that if you heard the words "here you go monkey here's ya peanuts now f*** off back to the zoo" then it would mean dont bother coming back in next week and here's ya pay cheque.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Sparky, calling someone else out on a stolen joke does nobody any good. Except you... and me... and everyone else who sees visible proof!

·
153 Posts
Sparky, calling someone else out on a stolen joke does nobody any good. Except you... and me... and everyone else who sees visible proof!

Actually heard it first on the Drew Carry show a few years back.:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 97 Posts