Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

41 - 60 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
J And like I said I did it for 12-18 months said:
was[/i] fun.
I'd bet you made some pretty decent money though I know you earned every penny .
I probably don't want to know how much more you make doing remodels . :no:
It paid for my land and allowed me to build my own house .

Not to be prejudiced but when I was going full bore at trim 1995 to 05 it was almost all American citizens as subs till about 02 around here . I started to like alot less when that changed .

Reading the other posters was interesting . I thought almost every carpenter alive did a stint framing or triming tract style housing .
Apparently not .

·
Registered
318 Posts
J F,

As I said before I do not believe you can consistently run the crown (12’ x 12’ room 9’ ceilings) in 15 minutes and make it look good. You claim that is your fastest time. If so than as I said my hat is off to you. :clap: I do believe you and another person could run the crown under ideal situations in a room that size in 25-30 minutes. Been there done that. I myself feel it is better to work steady than fast. I’ve seen a lot of guys start the day with great production rates only to burn out by lunch.

We also disagreed on the location of the copes. Again I am going to tell you, you are supposed to locate the coped cuts so they flow with the natural line of sight and will not be viewed at right angles when entering or leaving the room. The purpose of the coping cut is to compensate for out of square corners and to control how the joint is viewed, not to hold the adjoining piece of trim in place. For the purpose of production, double copes are best avoided when ever possible. This as I said before is textbook. Double copes are definitely best avoided by a DIYer.

The pediments: maybe you are just that good. I could not fabricate all the pieces on site for both openings and install them in 1 ½ hrs. I don’t know anybody that could set up the equipment, rip all the pieces, and shape them. Then measures, cuts, and installs all the pieces for both sides of both doors in that time.

As far as doors and production work go I can install a pre-hung door properly shimmed in about 4 to 5 minutes (up to 36”) using a cordless trim gun. If I want it to look really pretty with perfect clearances (1/16 hinge/ 1/8 head/ 1/8 strike) and the bottom scribed to the floor I average 15 minutes (that’s with the hinge side hand nailed w/ 8 penny finish nails 2” above/ below hinges and at the strike). I don’t remember any conversation about door hanging between you and I but there are my averages for your consideration. If you can hang them any faster than that then you probably forgot to shim and nail them.

As I acknowledged in the other thread I am a highly suspicious person. I have heard a lot of guys claim speed and accuracy and most of them had neither. I have also been contracted by builders to clean up behind production guys. I’ve seen doors that where so out of whack you couldn’t close them with a 10# sledge and a tub of Vaseline. I’ve seen trim (base, crown, and shoe) with ¼” gaps in the joints or more. I’m sure the crew who did that where running under 15 minutes. Please note; I’m not accusing you of doing that kind of shoddy work I’m just sharing some of my experiences. That said you probably understand now why I am skeptical of people making such claims.

·
Banned
9,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Glad you made it over. As I stated in the other thread, my problem with both you and sky was the disbelief (and the way it was put) in what I personally told you I had done.

That is what was done wrong in my opinion. I don't care how much you don't believe everything you read on the net (you would be foolish to do so), but when I am personally going to be called out on how quickly/efficiently how I can do something that I stated I have done, on a public forum I am going to reply.

Simple disagreement is no problem, happens all the time, but I think if you re-read some of your guys posts regarding what I shared as having personally done, it called for a response...which I felt I handled quite well.

Jay

·
Banned
9,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Then Finley added one post and had it shut down :laughing:. It was on it's way any way, but Mike's post was the only one of however many, that had some words blanked out by the mods. :laughing: He put it very succinctly, as he always does.

·
Banned
9,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
I'd bet you made some pretty decent money though I know you earned every penny .
I probably don't want to know how much more you make doing remodels . :no:
It paid for my land and allowed me to build my own house .

Not to be prejudiced but when I was going full bore at trim 1995 to 05 it was almost all American citizens as subs till about 02 around here . I started to like alot less when that changed .

Reading the other posters was interesting . I thought almost every carpenter alive did a stint framing or triming tract style housing .
Apparently not .
Money wasn't bad at all, especially in light of being a sub of a sub, on production work, and it helped me fill my schedule.

·
Banned
9,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Ari, I didn't remember you being a poster here, just went and read some of your other stuff, but did this thread have anything to do with the arguing over on diy?

http://www.contractortalk.com/f11/am-i-crazy-61686/index2/#post722964

Specifically my post #13? Just curious if you were a little peeved (possible). I see you did come to realize why I said that. :w00t:

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
Then Finley added one post and had it shut down :laughing:. It was on it's way any way, but Mike's post was the only one of however many, that had some words blanked out by the mods. :laughing: He put it very succinctly, as he always does.
Glad to have been of service. :cheesygri

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
I just can't see any room getting done in 15 minutes unless everything beforehand was done to perfection (not likely). Unless you're just gonna hide your mistakes behind paint and caulk.:whistling

Of course I never worked with pine or poplar. I have a tendency to work with wood a tad bit more dense.

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
After an hour of setting up, I think 4 walls can be crowned in 15 minutes. Get all 4 measurements, scribe a few gauge lines, cut 2 pieces opposing each other square to square, cut the adjacent pieces long to long, plus a light 1/8, cope both pieces. Set square pieces with one nail in the center of the piece and one nail a couple feet from each end. Snap in the coped pieces, make the adjustments to get the cope tight and gun 'er up. Not a pace to be kept all day long, but to prove a point, I think it could happen.:thumbsup:

Reactions: Willie T

·
Banned
9,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
I just can't see any room getting done in 15 minutes unless everything beforehand was done to perfection (not likely). Unless you're just gonna hide your mistakes behind paint and caulk.:whistling

Of course I never worked with pine or poplar. I have a tendency to work with wood a tad bit more dense.
Not in cheapo mcmansions :no:

No this was all fjwp, 3 5/8 el crappo. And don't start that caulk crap with me.

No, this is set-up like in my original post.

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
Maybe 15 minutes is an exaggeration. Maybe in reality it's more like 16 minutes and 12 seconds.

I think the point was that it doesn't have to take 3 hours to hang 4 pieces of crown. Guys proficient at what they do and used to production can get Get Er Done!

Taking longer doesn't necessarily mean the end results are going to be better. You either know what you are doing or you don't, then it's a matter of learning how to work faster by being efficient.

·
Banned
9,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
After an hour of setting up, I think 4 walls can be crowned in 15 minutes. Get all 4 measurements, scribe a few gauge lines, cut 2 pieces opposing each other square to square, cut the adjacent pieces long to long, plus a light 1/8, cope both pieces. Set square pieces with one nail in the center of the piece and one nail a couple feet from each end. Snap in the coped pieces, make the adjustments to get the cope tight and gun 'er up. Not a pace to be kept all day long, but to prove a point, I think it could happen.:thumbsup:
And I normally didn't have to use a nail in the corner (only 12' pieces). After the 2 flat pieces are installed (leaving the last 2 feet on both ends un-nailed), you can have your ladder in one corner and set the far corner cope in place, while working on the corner you're at, then go to the far corner....wash, rinse, repeat on the other side.

And no, like I've stated several times, NOT a pace you can keep up for long, but made some of the repetition a little more fun...god forbid. ;)

·
Banned
9,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Maybe 15 minutes is an exaggeration. Maybe in reality it's more like 16 minutes and 12 seconds.

I think the point was that it doesn't have to take 3 hours to hang 4 pieces of crown. Guys proficient at what they do and used to production can get Get Er Done!

Taking longer doesn't necessarily mean the end results are going to be better. You either know what you are doing or you don't, then it's a matter of learning how to work faster by being efficient.
No, no exaggeration (using my watch/stopwatch...15 mins...nice tight joints. I will admit that I could never get it much under 15 mins, and more often than not it was 16-18 if I had to bugger around with anything, but it made a mundane task a challenge.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Well, I must of been mistaken when you said you cut it too. My idea of cutting your own moldings involves this stuff...

·
Registered
738 Posts
I dont understand why some think it is so hard to install 1 room of crown in 15 minutes.
it takes more time measuring and walking to the saw then it takes to cut and install.
I cope with a jigsaw so coping takes all of 4 seconds per piece.

41 - 60 of 125 Posts