Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Finishing Carpenter
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
went out on one this morning- 63kilometers (40 miles) it took 1 1/2 hrs each way. This was a quote for crown molding, several rooms in this house.

Tom tom couldn't find it! not surprised there, it seems to not like rural roads- it did get close though. Again, my blackberry googlemaps app did the trick!

so I get there, turns out that the lady that phoned got it wrong, the guy (HO) said it was for installing casing on 4 doors- one side only! sheesh!!!!

ok well, them's the breaks I guess - but I quoted for a day's work, as it would pretty much occupy a whole day.

saw a squashed skunk on the highway though! LOL man that sucker stunk.

·
General Contractor
3,444 Posts

·
Average Joe
1,209 Posts
If you're driving out that far, either you or the HO is losing money. 3 hrs of commute is 3hrs x your hourly rate (let's say $50)= $150 of lost time. Gas, kms, now you're closer to $175. A $300 job becomes $475. OR a $300 job becomes $125, cut it however you like.

I stay within a 30 min. MAX commute time, each way. That's MY limit. I'll eat that cost.

If somebody calls me for a quote outside of that range, I either refer them to a buddy GC/trades guy, or tell them straight up that I'm charging for my time to-and-from.

Count your bottom line, "if it don't make dollars it don't make sense (cents)"!:thumbup:

·
Service & Repairs
4,001 Posts
I learned really quick not to go more than 20-30 minutes away for a job you might not even get. And 20-30 minutes around here may mean 10-15 miles max.

Of course referrals are something different all together.

·
Registered
7,079 Posts
I keep it at around a 20 mile radius. My sister called me this past weekend and told me she is putting her place up for sale next spring and wants to update the place (kitchen, baths, floors, etc.) It's in Wayland, MA and I'm in Central NJ. A little bit out of my radius:rolleyes:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Wayland is a nice town within my radius:shifty:

Usually I stick within 45min unless I get some decent qualifiers.

If I'm traveling a bit far I will go on Bing Maps and get a birds eye of the neighborhood, assessed values etc. (If I'm not familiar already) A good chunk of my jobs come from neighbors looking over the fence. If I see the neighborhood full of Rich Jones' than I head on over.
So far in my young career I have spent very little on marketing and advertisement (knock on wood), so far, so to me its money well spent.

A long distance strike out does suck, but at least go down swinging.

·
Banned
337 Posts
Most all of our work is at least 30-45 miles one way, often much more. We have been asked to go to the Antilles Islands to install store displays at an hourly rate plus lodging and perdeim. The job was to last at least 90 days but we had other work coming up to keep us closer to home. The farthest has been 1200 miles one way to Billings Montana to side a single home for Pacesetter to settle a lawsuit filed by the homeowner, it paid just fine thank you.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Half hour as a norm, but have traveled up almost 2. Got the job out there, and it payed just fine...Have another cusomer that I do work for every year that is and hour and a half. I do spend a couple of extra minute with them on the phone before I head out the door.

·
Project Manager HFH..
3,711 Posts
If the job is right most of this area...MOST....:whistling

1 - 20 of 22 Posts