Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the jobs we are doing is a school up in Podunk, Wyoming. Through 'value engineering' the architect came up with this solution for a resilient wainscot on the corridor walls. VCT. Over sheetrock. I can't even begin to tell you how lousy this looks. The installer can't warranty it. He can't say if his glue will hold in the long run. They can't strip or wax it, for obvious reasons. Nobody is willing to say if all the weight will simply pull the paper off the sheetrock:

They used map rail as trim for the top, but this stuff ain't designed to make corners, so they come up with this:

I put this in the 'bad idea' category.
:blink:

·
The Ultimate Wire Hider
4,455 Posts
This is one of the reasons why you need the shop teacher in the school. Everyone needs a go-to guy for situations like this.

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
Junk job ! Around here (N.W. Indiana) they would never even think of building halls in schools with anything less than spectraglazed or ground faced block with bullnose corners

Looks like a firetrap !

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Still trying to get past there actually being a place called "Podunk"... :eek:
It's not really called that. It's in the county that makes up the very southwestern corner of Wyoming. Mountain View, in the Bridger Valley. I've spent waaaaay to much time up there, including my past roughneckin' days. SW Wyoming is such a horrible place that when Statehood was offered to Utah, we said no freakin' way unless you make Wyoming take that one piece, and that's why Utah is missing a corner from being a rectangle.:whistling

I shouldn't make fun of Podunk, since the zip code where I live is EIEIO:laughing:

·
Super Moderator
24,668 Posts
Junk job ! Around here (N.W. Indiana) they would never even think of building halls in schools with anything less than spectraglazed or ground faced block with bullnose corners

Looks like a firetrap !

Pretty dumb....
Hard to imagine a school board or their PM approved that.

·
Designer/Contractor
4,783 Posts
. Through 'value engineering' the architect came up with this solution for a resilient wainscot on the corridor walls. VCT. Over sheetrock.
It's very likely the architect just value engineered himself a lawsuit down the road.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts