Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are a couple of pics from a "repair" job, I went and looked at today. This property is probably worth close to 3 million. I don't know the family's financial situation, but this is obvious and life threatening.

Attachments

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,611 Posts
D
ed electricians! Drilling holes where they're not supposed to!

·
Thom
4,137 Posts
Seems to me the real problem must be your camera. The color brown is showing up where white belongs.

·
Premium Member
Retired deck builder
5,553 Posts
A lot of builders back in the 70's & 80's used RSC for structural beams around here also so I've seen the same sort of thing. It's usually hidden from view unlike that one in your pic where even an idiot could tell that deck is ready to go down.

I was looking at a deck kinda like that one, ready to go. There was a big guy up on the deck at the same time looking at putting in a new patio door. The couple of old rusty ramset pins holding the ledger gave way & the deck fell about a foot. The old boy looking at the door went right thru the screen door to get to the door handle. You should have seen his face, looked like he had seen a ghost. :laughing:

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
I'll never understand the thought process of someone that will butt support beams together instead of using one length. The deck doesn't appear to be longer than 20-24'. Didn't the builder take that into consideration before he ordered the materials?
Steve

Here are a couple of pics from a "repair" job, I went and looked at today. This property is probably worth close to 3 million. I don't know the family's financial situation, but this is obvious and life threatening.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Steve, you are right. That's not all of the problems, but each of those 4x12's are less then 8'. The joists are 4x12's on 16" centers and in pretty bad shape, as well. The paint seems to hide the problems until disaster strikes.

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
But they want to salvage what they can. They asked if I could just scrape and treat.:rolleyes:
Drop the deck, screw a section of the old rail across any access points and tell them you saved all you could.:thumbsup:

·
John Hyatt
3,658 Posts
ghessssssss Mark who are these People???:hammer: I got in on a deal where the contractor did just that paint and caulk a big wrapp around radis bench area around a nice pool. One week after the sale the lady found it falling through after a big rain.

$12,000 later after I replaced it,steam bending redwood, She was wondering the same thing>>> Who Are These People????? JonMon

·
Registered
59 Posts
I can't wait to see the pictures of what's beneath the ledger!

Structural paint! That's the answer!

Maybe some of that rust away paint by Rustolium comes in Rot Away!

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,611 Posts
.........Maybe some of that rust away paint by Rustolium comes in Rot Away!
We'll never find out now that Billy Mays is gone. :w00t:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts