Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
11,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I did some work for a couple families in a townhome development (four-story types within walking distance to a metro). Folks were all very happy. Then the president of the HOA asked if I'd like to be added to their community contractor list (some sort of internal thing, presumably a good thing.) To my own amazement, I said "I appreciate that, but I'd rather not." He was quite surprised. I explained that they are on the edge of my range....and their parking was just too much of a pita. Tow away zones everywhere, even if you parked right behind the home in front of their own garages. I don't know how they do remodeling in that place, unless they use limo's and chauffeurs.

Recently I was finishing up a couple bathroom floors (grouting) late at night (empty property, tight schedule). I was parked in front of their townhome (they had two spots). I got towed. $175 + $40 taxi at 1:00am to get it back. There was more than one lesson to "relearn" that night. Client reimbursed it, btw.

So, how does parking affect what you do and what jobs you take on?

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
We have high-end, luxury condos built on old shipping on the river: Penns Landing. The owners have a garage, but my truck don't fit in the garage due to very low clearance. There is no other "legal" parking close.

Plus, you can only work from 10a to 2p. Screw that whole situation. I put up with it once like an a-hole, never again.

·
Registered
11,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We have high-end, luxury condos built on old shipping on the river: Penns Landing. The owners have a garage, but my truck don't fit in the garage due to very low clearance. There is no other "legal" parking close.

Plus, you can only work from 10a to 2p. Screw that whole situation. I put up with it once like an a-hole, never again.
I know Philly and feel your pain. Another reason for a mini-van for some city work. (Who's cheesesteak do you like?)

·
I'm The BOSS
1,904 Posts
my rule is a simple one.

any equipment trailers are to stay onsite until job is done.
parked off street, within 20-30 feet from home.

If due to parking restriction the equipment can't be left onsite
customer pays travel time x 2 a day. use their spaces during the day.

has only happened once in the last five years. they paid it.

I have taken trailer home every night for it's safety though.

·
Love me some Concrete
1,834 Posts
We have an area that can have no vehicles over night on the street and contractor equipment can in no way be on the street after 6pm. It is a huge pain in the azz! I had left the bobcat on scene just off the driveway in the yard and had a nasty note from the association in the am. Suprised it was not towed, but towing a bobcat is almost impossible, lol.

I work up there from time to time because they pay very well and ny customers are really good people too. But putting up with their stupid rules is ridiculous, especially when that are is constantly being worked on!

·
Registered
12,345 Posts
Never a problem around here. Even downtown, I just show up early and block as many parking spaces as I need. As long as I put a hand written note saying I am working here, we are good. :thumbsup:

I don't know how you guys in the big city do it. I don't like parking on the wrong end of the driveway, let alone the block.

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
I personally like the Steak and Hoagie Works steaks. They bake their own rolls there. Pats and Ginos are more touristy spots. I also don't like a steak with 5 lbs of meat. I prefer one I can eat.

You?

·
Registered
11,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I personally like the Steak and Hoagie Works steaks. The bake their own rolls there. Pats and Ginos are more touristy spots. I also don't like a steak with 5 lbs of meat. I prefer one I can eat.

You?
My general thoughts:

Pat & Gino's - not so much. One too salty, the other too plain-tasting.

Jim's does a nice one with their chunky onions (touristy, so be advised - I still think they wrote all those visitor quotes on the walls themselves.)

Steve's (northeast, where I'm from): used to be good, but too skimpy on the goods.

****** (or whatever it's called now): Don't know about them now, but in the past they had way too much meat and since they wouldn't use whiz or pizza sauce...well, that's just annoying.

Tony Luke's: meat is too dry for my liking.

The places in Reading Terminal are good- forget the names.

(....nuts, I feel like making a road trip right about now.)

Thanks for the heads-up on steak and hoagie works. Family lives sort of close (Grant & Academy), so I'll be visiting next time.

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
I live at Grant and Krewstown. I used to live at Grant and Academy.

Reach out to me the next time your in town.

My wife goes to the terminal often. I'll have to ask her.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I work out of a 14' box van so sometimes its a pain. I factor that in with the bid. If I cant get close with the van I turn down the work. I try to scope out every address I get on a sales call through Google Earth to see what it looks like before I ever go.

·
Registered
8,649 Posts
my rule is a simple one.

any equipment trailers are to stay onsite until job is done.
parked off street, within 20-30 feet from home.

If due to parking restriction the equipment can't be left onsite
customer pays travel time x 2 a day. use their spaces during the day.

has only happened once in the last five years. they paid it.

I have taken trailer home every night for it's safety though.
Would not be doing much work by me, maybe 20% would have the parking space for a trailer on their property with it not being in the way and it would not be within 20' of the house. Out of that 20% only .5% would allow it to stay there until job is finished.

When I do work in condo's there is no way a trailer is going to fit anywhere. I just start later and leave earlier than the other residents.
Most towns do not let you park on the street overnight anyway.

It is all figured into the price and they understand.

·
I'm The BOSS
1,904 Posts
I'm not a city boy,
Though we work in the suburbs of Boston, Ma.

it's a 65 mile drive one way, 1:15 minutes with traffic. and for Homeowners, with land and parking and losts of $$$$$$

·
Radical Basement Dweller
25,955 Posts
I don't remember if it was called Phillips back in the early 80's but I ate a bunch of cheese steaks there...22nd & Passyunk...

·
Registered
346 Posts
after the last condo I did....I think I will turn them down from now on. Took twice as long as it should have due to parking bull crap.....I have enough normal work, I dont think its worth the hassle. Hell, I cant charge double just because of the parking....GRRRRRR!!!!!

·
Kowboy
2,265 Posts
I've done work on some oceanfront condos in Naples, Florida. They won't even let us lowly contractors use the lobby and elevator,we have to use the servant's quarters. Parking is another nightmare, lots of walking.

Make it as tough as you like rich folks; I'm billing by the hour.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts