Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is more a question for Subs than it is for GC's.

How do you guys schedule your crews?

At my last job we used a dry erase board that was marked up like the calendar and used different colors for each crew. We would put the owners name on the board on the days they were expected to be done.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
At my previous job I managed 5 crews (about 30 guys), three truck drivers and 30 - 40 pieces of trench shoring and earth moving equipment. I found that the dry erase board can work as good, if not better, than most scheduling tools. The hardest part is making it a priority to keep the board current. When it's current it works great. When its neglected it's almost worse than having nothing. My board had:

- about 15 rows of job names / owner names, labels on left side of board
-about 20 "weekly" columns across the top (I use weeks of the month becasuse my jobs typically run two weeks...6 months)
-magnet tags (3/4" x 2"?) with foremen's names represent (1) time interval (a week)
- I assigned foremen tags (crews) to each job by the duration of the job (estimated time) and the time slot I expected that crew to man the job. Sometimes multiple crews would work simultaneously, sometimes a crew will start a job, move off and another will finish.
- I used a piece of ribbon, as long as the board's height, with a magnet attached to each end, to indicate "today". I positioned the ribbon vertically across all rows at the current date and moved it along daily. Make's for a quick way to see where jobs are in terms of % complete (it's not good when the ribbon gets past the last magnet and you're not done yet) and gives you an idea of when a crew is next available.

As an example: If I expect crew #1 to be on job ABC for 3-1/2 weeks starting Monday the 18th then I put 3 tags end to end in job ABC's row (starting on the 18th) with another tag turned sideways (1/2 week) at the end of that period. If crew #2 will come in 4 weeks later and take a month to finish then I skip four weeks worth of columns and place four more tags (for crew2) end to end in that job's row.

I also assigned a magnet tag to equipment pieces and moved them from job to job accordingly.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts