Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let's say one of your employees just does a bad job or a job not to the customer's satisfaction at a customer site. We don't charge the customer at all, the owner of the company personally calls the customer and apologizes, etc etc. Customer seems happy on phone but a few days later the customer proceeds to write a negative review about your company despite your company following through with the 100% satisfaction guaranteed refund policy.

It's on one of these sites such as angies list or thumbtack where I as the company can reply.

How do I handle this? Do I again apologize and explain that we followed our 100% satisfaction guarantee so there should be no hard feelings?

How do you guys do it?

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
I've never had a bad review, but I think if I did and were going to respond, I would definitely take the high road and say something to the effect that.... you're sorry things turned out the way they did.... even though you offered to (and would rather have) re-done their project with a different crew and they refused, you followed your company's policy to the letter and refunded every single penny of their money. I would go on to say that sometimes, good folks make mistakes too and wish things had turned out differently.

Wish them the best and move on.

·
I'm a Mac
5,487 Posts
I like how Gordon Ramsey suggested in the Arizona restaurant couples case...ignore it, don't reply, don't get caught up in it...you do more damage acknowledging it

·
Banned
3,431 Posts
Post the company's side including refunding the entire job back to them and trying to resolve the issue. Most (normal) people will realize that some people just arent able to be pleased and love to complain, especially on AL as it gives them the allusion of power.

The only reason to respond is to be professional. I got 2 bad reviews on AL cause I refused to go out to the estimate after multiple red flags on initial phone call.

·
Super Moderator
24,288 Posts
Send a reply as noted:

The customer notified us that they were not 100% satisfied with the job. The owner of the company contacted the customer and the issue was resolved to 100% satisfaction of the customer.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
there is a difference between an employee doing a bad job----and a customer not being satisfied with a job which was done appropriately---------------

for example we recently did a sky light install-
the customer had some minor questions wanting us to do things a bit differently---------------------------------

problem is-what he wanted us to do would not have been according to Velux recomendations-and we are certified by Velux, not the homeowner, so we are going to follow Velux instructions, not the homeowners.

also- the homeowner wanted us to warranty the skylight itself-which THEY supplied, reasoning that since it was the same model etc. that we would have supplied, "what's the difference"- my position being that since we did NOT supply it, we don't warranty it ,period( and this was explained to them in writing prior to the install)

but they simply don't accept that fully AFTER THE FACT

so all in all- they are maybe 96% satisfied- but still grumbly.
Do they get a refund?- of course not

we did things properly, they paid, and we are not responsible for the customer wanting to re-write reality AFTER the FACT, LOL
Stephen

·
Banned
15 Posts
I would definitely join the conversation and explain that you did talk to the owner, you resolved the situation, and that you followed through on your satisfaction guarantee.

It shows to future people visiting your review site that A. you are an active business owner and care about how your company is viewed. B. That you did in fact handle the situation to the best of your ability. If it was the fault of the employee, is he still working with you? will the situation ever happen again? Did you take steps to stop an occurrence like this happening in the future? This information could help put potential future customers at ease

·
Registered
8,125 Posts
Why didnt you take it over from your helper and do it correctly while he watches and learns. Giving people their money back is all well and good, but its still not done right, so whoopie do.

·
Registered
Custom
13,001 Posts
I would add at the end...

"It's re-assuring for our customers to know that in the rare occasion that things don't go according to plan and they are not satisfied, they can take advantage of our 100% Satisfaction Guarantee like Mrs. Stick-up-the-butt did... unlike most in our industry, we put your complete satisfaction in writing so you can feel 100% secure in choosing to do business with us... Thanks again to Mrs. Stick-up-the-butt for holding our feet to the fire and for identifying an area for us to grow... Please feel free to visit our website at... www.werockthehouse.com/referrals... and see how the other 97% (or whatever number you have) of our customers feel about their experience with our company and our commitment to their satisfaction..." (and then let the other referral letters on your website be the last thing they see not the AL referral)..

The point is to minimize the affect of the ONE review versus the other 97%, take ownership of your mistake, demonstrated your commitment to their satisfaction and USE the negative referral as a jump-off point to them contacting your website and subsequently you afterwards...

From that point, ANY person who contacts you from Angie's list or wherever, under-promise and over-deliver and at the end ask them to write a positive review. They are not just referrals at that point, but people who read the negative review, read the referrals at your website and used you, and the positive impression is reinforced with every positive review they right...

Start a 97% Club... List the names of the people in the "club" with a link to their pics from their job...

Turn the negative into a positive... Best of luck... 8^)

·
Registered
16,392 Posts
Was it a type of faucet used they were not happy with or was the job done so bad that it needs tearing out and doing again.

I would have a guess to it being a pretty bad mess seeings you walked away rather than fixing it. If it was me I would have made sure they were 100% happy as that would have cost me less. That way you keep your money and they give a good review.

Now your gonna get be zoned in by the scammers who see this review and think hey this person got free work done.

These satisfaction guarantee's are never up held. As an example I was gonna buy a new truck the other day. Local dealer has a $5k guarantee that if you find the same truck cheaper you get a check for $5k. I found 3 trucks cheaper with better options. No $5k check for me. Has to be within certain distance, same exact spec which never happens etc etc

·
Non-conformist
1,581 Posts
I agree with those who suggested a professional response that states your position without further aggravating the situation. It tells anyone seeing the negative review that you pay attention and care. As a HO, I recognize that bad reviews simply mean you've been in business a while because some people do love to complain. One or a few bad reviews with a bunch of good ones just tells me you did business in the real world.

I've made many buying decisions where reviews were less than 100% positive. How you respond would tell me more about your company than what the bad reviewer said.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Let's say one of your employees just does a bad job or a job not to the customer's satisfaction at a customer site. We don't charge the customer at all, the owner of the company personally calls the customer and apologizes, etc etc. Customer seems happy on phone but a few days later the customer proceeds to write a negative review about your company despite your company following through with the 100% satisfaction guaranteed refund policy.

It's on one of these sites such as angies list or thumbtack where I as the company can reply.

How do I handle this? Do I again apologize and explain that we followed our 100% satisfaction guarantee so there should be no hard feelings?

How do you guys do it?
I received a bad review from someone who i know the job came out beautiful and even have fotos of it n my site.

This was personal thing from her..she was wacko.
The nature of the bad review is important and what and how written.

In my circumstance I simply stated

"this was a surreal experience. To respond and defend would only serve to further denigrate
Our integrity which is clearly important to myself and my crews. I will ask you to just move on to our other reviews"

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
I received a bad review from someone who i know the job came out beautiful and even have fotos of it n my site.

This was personal thing from her..she was wacko.
The nature of the bad review is important and what and how written.

In my circumstance I simply stated

"this was a surreal experience. To respond and defend would only serve to further denigrate
Our integrity which is clearly important to myself and my crews. I will ask you to just move on to our other reviews"
It may be the truth, but if that's what you posted, you didn't do yourself ANY favors. You'd have been better off saying nothing imho.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
It may be the truth, but if that's what you posted, you didn't do yourself ANY favors. You'd have been better off saying nothing imho.
I disagree..it as actually helped me .closed 2 jobs recently after they said "you have alot if great reviews ..but there was one guy not happy" to which i simply said " see it shows we're real and you cant please everyone"

This case the review made personal and unfounded remarks..so i chose to acknowledge the fact it was there as i always take the time to remark and thank people.

But without going on the defensive and rebutting her comments individually.

I think my reply was perfect..and it worked.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
If it worked for you, that's great. Glad to hear it.

Maybe I misunderstood something. Different perceptions I guess.....

1 - 20 of 25 Posts