Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a similar question in another post but decided to separate this to keep the topics very specific.

One of our drivers got hit with one of those automated traffic cams. Due to the law it is treated as a parking violation so the ticket comes to our business. We have 3 options.

1. Pay it
2. Plead our case for a lower fine.
3. ask for court appt to deny it

Most of these options are a waste of time and money as an owner. For us to sit in an office or courtroom doesn't make sense when you calculate income vs the price of the ticket.

I could just pay it, but this is one of those shady areas that I do not agree with the ticket. Honestly, I think some of these tickets are issued just because they know people will send the money so the ticket will not affect a credit score.

But, as a business I am curious to know what happens if we do not pay. Will a collection agency eventually call my office and try to get payment? Can they affect our personal credit? etc (the vehicle is in company name)

Here is one idea I am playing with.

skip the mediation or denial of guilt, let it go to collection, and then take 5 minutes on the phone when they call me and negotiate the bill down. At that point, I could probably get the same deal as if I had gone to the silly mediation hearing, and I would save time.

Any other ways you handle the these tickets?

·
Ink Slinger
158 Posts
Sure, just ignore it.

Then act all surprised when your vehicle registration runs out and you don't remember seeing the notice to renew. So you run on down to the MVA to renew your plates. And find out that you can't until after you pay the "citation" and now who knows how high fees and late charges.

That's pretty much the Maryland scene.

·
Repair/Remodeling Tech.
1,645 Posts
I don't know where you are, but it may not be sent to collections. It may be sent to "put out a warrant for your arrest". Just because it's treated as a parking ticket may not mean it's not a prosecutable offense.

Businesses use collection agencies because the only other recourse is taking it to small claims court. The state/county/city can just arrest your a$$.

·
Contractor
7,408 Posts
The driver who was speeding should be paying it, but it is the business's responsibility and as stated above in Maryland, they will cancel your tags and you won't necessarily know it until they pull you over and then you need a tow truck.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
I'm glad we don't have them in my part of Michigan . Here if you don't pay your ticket they issue a warrant for your arrest. Which you don't find out about until either you get pulled over or renew your plates.

·
stacker of sticks
8,502 Posts
I ignored one once and they suspended my license, but never bothered to tell me until I got pulled over by a cop and arrested for aggravated unlicensed operation. So pretty much the ticket was $170 dmv fees to get my license back was $70. They made me do 30 hours of community service, and the minimum fine for auo of $500 plus $300 in lawyer fees. So I paid $1040 and did 30 hours of community service for a $170 ticket

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
I had one that I did not see come through in the mail. I guess they come from a Delaware mailing service for some reason so I probably just tossed it in the junk pile.

Anyway, I didn't notice it until the collection showed up on my credit report. I really trashed my scores, I am still recovering credit wise.

IMHO, these traffic cam companies are criminal.

·
Want to play a game?
4,522 Posts
The city literally makes pennies to the dollar on these.

The way it was explained to me is, you are the owner of the vehicle but are not required to identify the offender.

This is how it works here in AZ so it could be different for you.

·
The Ultimate Wire Hider
4,455 Posts
Choose option #1. Pay it and obey the law next time.

Any other course of action is going to be counter-productive.

·
Registered
649 Posts
The cities are making a killing off of these traffic cams. A steady revenue stream for them, that's why they love them. There is a a group of attorneys around here fighting the municipalities, saying they are illegal. If I'm not mistaken, I think they actually won a recent hearing.

·
Want to play a game?
4,522 Posts
The cities are making a killing off of these traffic cams. A steady revenue stream for them, that's why they love them. There is a a group of attorneys around here fighting the municipalities, saying they are illegal. If I'm not mistaken, I think they actually won a recent hearing.
Our city took them out because 1, they were voted out, and 2, one of the main reasons was that Redflex made the killing and the city made next to nothing. I can't remember the exact number but it was pretty ridiculous the low amount the city made compared to Redflex.

·
Hair Splitter
18,330 Posts
Our city took them out because 1, they were voted out, and 2, one of the main reasons was that Redflex made the killing and the city made next to nothing. I can't remember the exact number but it was pretty ridiculous the low amount the city made compared to Redflex.
They took them out here as well. They worked! And when they started working they still had to pay for the lease. But when there is no revenue coming in to pay for he lease because people are doing what they are supposed to do, they had to get rid of them.

Funny I always thought that they were sold as a safety device, not a revenue generator...hmmmm....

·
stacker of sticks
8,502 Posts
Parking tickets here are $20. If paid witching 7 days they are only $10, but they averaged what tickets actually cost the city and it was over $25 each

·
Designer/Contractor
4,792 Posts
They've been taken out in some towns here and left in others. I think the case was made that they were causing more accidents from drivers jamming on the brakes to avoid the red and there were also allegations that the cities that used them shortened the yellow to snag more drivers.

It's never a good idea to have the law become a way to generate revenue as it encourages government corruption to fill their coffers.

Regarding the OP, pay the ticket or suffer the consequences.

·
Design/Build
641 Posts
We had red light cameras for a while at one particular intersection. They ended up taking them out, because as Rio said earlier they caused more accidents than they prevented. Drivers would lock up their brakes at the yellow rather than risk the ticket.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts