Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you guys handle subs and their starting times on a job. I've had problems where I'm at the job site at 7:00 and a sub is supposed to show at 8:00 and doesn't show until noon, stating a variety of excuses, from girl friend issues to being stuck at supply houses.

With the IRS rules about subs one of the no-nos is controlling the hours a sub shows up for work.

"controlling the behavior of the worker, such as telling him when to do the work, how to do it, and who to use for help if he needs it; "

How do you handle getting subs to show when they are supposed to without violating the employee/sub IRS rules?

·
General Contractor
1,035 Posts
You set hours of operation that the jobsite will be open for work in the contract. We set them from 6am to 5pm - if they can't get the work done in that timeframe then they get booted out and the gates locked behind them. Then you are controlling the jobsite and not the subcontractor.
If you don't have a fence around it - then put a lock on the power and shut it off.
If you're remodeling - have the owner lock the doors :)

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Mike Finley said:
With the IRS rules about subs one of the no-nos is controlling the hours a sub shows up for work. "controlling the behavior of the worker, such as telling him when to do the work"
I don't think that the process of diligently scheduling the prosecution of subcontracted work rises to micromanagement level of "telling him when to do the work". If you're really concerned that it might then execute written, project specific, subcontract agreements. If that's just not practical (most of my subs are too busy to bother with such "formalities") then maybe you can get some kind of blanket agreement that speaks to the need for your subs to be timely, diligent, etc. (time is of the essence). I'd think that covers the IRS bases.

Mike Finley said:
How do you handle getting subs to show when they are supposed to
timely pay, lots of annoying "start-up" phone calls, prayer and honest living (in that order)

Mike Finley said:
How do you guys handle subs and their starting times on a job.
I tell them when their needed (repeatedly and well in advance) and wear my hair very short (so it's difficult for me to pull out completely when I've got traffic blocked for a mile in each direction and no one's there to cut the paving)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts