Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Using wood or azek drip cap on a window or door head always becomes a problem for me when used in conjunction with cedar shingles. The lip on the back is too short and in the past I have always bent a drip cap which is a pain because you have to bend it back to the wall right over the lip so you can get the shingle and the undercoarse over it without bulging out. I have also cut the lip off and ran a wider metal drip on top of it. So I was thinking what if I just put sort of a z flashing over the lip and up the wall like a counterflashing and not covered the top of dripcap at all. I never liked the way the metal looked hanging over the side anyway, unless it was copper. Water problem?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have not done much vinyl siding before so. That being said I don't think I have ever seen drip cap, azek or otherwise used, in conjunction with vinyl. It has a nice look and it has got to better than having a jmoulding gutter on top as is usually the case. And yes I am going to rip the hump off and wrap it, thanks.

·
Registered
17,271 Posts
the window trim on the sides were routed out to receive the siding the heads have a drip and flashing that returns to the sheathing,there is a j channel on top of the drip flashing to receive the bottom of the siding over the window

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay looking again I can see the j moulding. Most jobs I see around here they don't use flashing on top, just j moulding bent down on the ends into the side pieces and caulk.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts