Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am curious to know what policies some of you have to handle tickets. In the past we have made judgement calls on this. eg. We had a tech that got a parking ticket in Seattle, but it was a busy day, parking was tough and he missed plugging the meter by a few minutes. He was fine the rest of the day. So, in that case we (the company) paid the ticket.

On another case the employee was heading home and got hit with a speeding ticket so he paid that.

How do you handle these situations?

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
If they are speeding or something its their fault. Otherwise I would probably take care of it. Especially if it was somehow my fault.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,702 Posts
Employees pay for their own infractions.

The fact that they're driving a company vehicle isn't an excuse. There's nothing in the vehicles to force them to speed/park illegally/run red lights..........

Reactions: KermieB

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Employees pay for their own infractions.

The fact that they're driving a company vehicle isn't an excuse. There's nothing in the vehicles to force them to speed/park illegally/run red lights..........

Work in a big city for a while and you will then appreciate what a nightmare parking can be.... and how quick they will get that ticket on your truck.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Work in a big city for a while and you will then appreciate what a nightmare parking can be.... and how quick they will get that ticket on your truck.
Correct. Try working in NYC , you are almost guarantee to get a 1-2 tickets a week.

I must have gotten over 10 in the past 2-3 months.

If i had to make the call, it would case by case basis. Speeding & traffic violations, definitely paid by the employees. Parking, depending on the location, most likely paid by the company.

·
The Ultimate Wire Hider
4,455 Posts
I won't ever put an employee in a position where he has to break laws in order to perform his job duties. So if that means not finishing the job or not getting there sooner than later, then that's something that I will deal with the customer about if it happens to be an issue.

So given that, they have no excuse for speeding or parking tickets. Camera tickets are a payroll deduction unless the employee is aware of it and proactively pays it before it gets mailed to me.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
for me its a no brainer..driving infraction they own.

parking would depend..we often work in urban areas where we know parking is going to be tough so we plan and schedule for it.

I also build a ticket cost into pricing just in case..tickets are inevitable in some areas,

but a negligent parking just because your on a job they have to eat.

like parking in front of fire hydrant just because it was closer to the house

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
These all sound very similar to what we do. Thanks for the input. It is nice to know we are in line with industry practices.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts