Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I do alot of handyman work in my area so I do a little of everything. I got a call this week from a lady that a few years ago had texture walls and ceiling done in her family room. It is 18 x 20 with 14' ceiling. well she also has a fireplace in this room. Her complaint is during the winter when they use the fire place soot and ash collect on the texure all over and it is a nightmare to get rid of the dirt. She now want to have the texure removed. I have never done it before, I am thinking about just to a rip out of the old drywall and replace that or should I tell her to have it skimcoated with plaster.. Or does someone else have an better idea. Or better yet just pass on this job.! :)

thanks
Earl
and yes my name is earl !

·
Registered
8 Posts
There are methods to do the job, but it really isn't worth it.

Her fireplace has a problem, either subcontract it or have her referred to someone who does the work.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
fire place is ok.

Ok I talked her in to having her fireplace inspected, they came out and checked it out. After talking to her a bit more it seems that when ever they open the doors to the fire place a little ash is "poofed" in to the room or when they clean it out ash seems to make a mess of things. Also regular household dust just seems to settle on the grooves of the wall and ceiling.
So here is what I think her options are:
1. Sand down the whole room... (YUCK I do not want to do this and will turn this down.)
2. Tear out all drywall and redo (lots of $$ on her part)
3. hang 1/4 over the exsiting wall and ceiling (prob. would look like doodoo)
4. have the entire area plastered ( wich means She calls some one else and they get the job. so I am out $$)
anyone have a better idea

I HATE texured walls now. I am so glad I don't have them in my house.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Give her the last 3 options you listed and pose them as this:

1. "Your best bet is to have us remove the old drywall and start fresh. With this you can be sure that the drywall is hung and finished properly, and you will recieve the best looking finish."

You said you do a bit of everything, tell her you'll prime/paint it too. Recommend a high goss paint as they are easy to clean. They are more expensive but I assume you mark up your materials? This makes more money for you.

2. 'We could just hang an extra layer of drywall over the existing walls, but with the nature of the current walls you can't be so sure it will be as even as replacing the walls. This is an option however.'

3. 'I can have a guy come and put a plaster coat over the current texture and fill in the gaps basically. Again this wont be the best work but it is an option.'

Sub out a plaster guy, so you still make some money on it. Also look around for pricing so you can prepare her cheapest to most expensive options.

Whatever you do tell her you'll paint it! She'll like the high gloss idea and you can make some coin on that.

Good luck.

·
Registered
110 Posts
call the chimney sweeper guys

sub it out to the chimney sweeping guys
PPro said:
Give her the last 3 options you listed and pose them as this:

1. "Your best bet is to have us remove the old drywall and start fresh. With this you can be sure that the drywall is hung and finished properly, and you will recieve the best looking finish."

You said you do a bit of everything, tell her you'll prime/paint it too. Recommend a high goss paint as they are easy to clean. They are more expensive but I assume you mark up your materials? This makes more money for you.

2. 'We could just hang an extra layer of drywall over the existing walls, but with the nature of the current walls you can't be so sure it will be as even as replacing the walls. This is an option however.'

3. 'I can have a guy come and put a plaster coat over the current texture and fill in the gaps basically. Again this wont be the best work but it is an option.'

Sub out a plaster guy, so you still make some money on it. Also look around for pricing so you can prepare her cheapest to most expensive options.

Whatever you do tell her you'll paint it! She'll like the high gloss idea and you can make some coin on that.

Good luck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts