Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Yeah, bad idea. If you are trying to make sure someone actually views the video there are other ways to draw their attention, like some nice graphics nudging them toward the video.

·
Non-conformist
1,581 Posts
Personally I'm very annoyed but if the page is for a band or movie trailer you expect it to play which makes some cases an exception. Contractors are definitely not an exception.

However, my feelings about it are irrelevant. Statistically, most people have that on their top ten annoyance list and usually very close to the top. For that reason, it's a very bad idea.

·
Registered
12,837 Posts
Nothing worse than having a stupid dish soap commercial playing and I can't find the page it's on. Even worse are the stealth ones that open in their own screen behind all my other stuff.

I'm not sure what advertising genius sells this to a customer, but I instantly put whatever product it is on my don't buy list.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I despise autoplay videos. There is an add on for firefox that I use called ghostery that elimnates most of them, as well as the trackers, analytics, etc. Its amazing how much faster pages load when you block all of that stuff.

·
Non-conformist
1,581 Posts
I'm not sure what advertising genius sells this to a customer, but I instantly put whatever product it is on my don't buy list.
I'm glad I'm not the only one to take it to this level. If that response could become widely known, maybe the practice could be purged from the market. Then again, only on a different planet.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,578 Posts
Hate it. Don't want anything starting up without me wanting it to. Must be the control freak in me.

·
Registered
44 Posts
autoplay is a mixed bag, on certain blog posts, when adding videos in I will click autoplay. You will see the time on site climb up in most cases. Longer time on site is important, also you will reduce your bounce rates. The thing is if you have metrics set up, you can test to see what works best and leads to higher conversions.

·
Non-conformist
1,581 Posts
Probably quite annoying, but then again so are the popups to get your email but those seem to work for people. Just test it out I guess.
Yeah they work, but only if you're getting millions of hits and are satisfied with a fraction of 1% success rate. For everyone else, it should be avoided.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I say na on the auto play . With mobile sites and data use people don't always want to play videos.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts