Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Doing a tile job in an enclosed heated porch with 2 steps into the kitchen. Customer wants tile on the steps, but we are concerned about the slip factor when wet. What do you guys use to make tile non-slip? It needs to be the same color. Is there a sand coating of some kind? All I saw on Google was some coating you apply, buy doesn't actually have anything rough in it.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
There is NO coating that will work for tile as a non slip. depending on the tile choice you may be able to order the same color / pattern in a slip resistant form, this is unlikely unless you are using a commercial tile. your better choice is to talk your client into a step nosing.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Crossville has a tile finish called, I believe, crosstread. It has small knobs on it. I have a lot of it in 8x8 burgundy smoke and I used it on an entry recently, but not on the steps because I didn't want 8x8's on the treads.

I just put a rough tile on the treads.

Of course you could order the crosstread in a 12x12 if you weren't as tight as me.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Perhaps Charimon meant to say there is no such coating.... Use either a different tile on the stairs, that's meant for stairs and has a stair-nose trim, or use a metal stair nosing. Or a wooden tread, or tile inlaid into a stair with a wide wooden nosing. There's no reason that a stairway needs to look like the nearby floor, and I think most standard floor tile doesn't look very good on stairs anyway. I've installed and seen abrasive non-slip tape on stairs in very nice homes in likely slip situations. 2 steps down from the kitchen would be a good candidate.

I'm generally paranoid about safety on stairs. It depresses me to think of the jobs I've not gotten because I wouldn't do what the owner wanted me to do with stairs.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
I just asked about some liquid in a gallon jug at the tile wholesaler, said it worked good and was about 100$ a gallon, the name didn't stick, hope the product does.
What about cutting 4 rows with the tile saw to create grooves 1" back, all consistent, would that be sufficient for traction or aesthetics?
Customer wanted step up done , I didn't pitch it of course.

Tile Floor Property Flooring Room

·
Registered
3 Posts
I know this is an old thread but I wanted to add my 2 cents. We have great products for tile to increase the traction up to 400% when they are wet. This is NOT a coating and works on any tile. We also have some more aggressive clear coatings that will increase the traction even more. You do have options and you will not have to risk losing the nice appearance of the tile.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts