Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Been looking round here for a while mainly for info on drywall but.....

I'm a Painter & decorator in England. Not a lot of people spray over here but we try to use our airless as much as possible. When I was at college my tutor spent some time in the US and said it's mostly spray, and you tend to finish walls, mask them and then spray the ceilings. I've been trying to get this method right for a long time now. The problem I always have is the paint on the walls peels at least a little bit then I have to brush the ceiling lines anyway. I've tried various tapes and the only ones that don't pull paint off don't stick well enough to spray. Tried various paints, dilutions etc with no luck.

I've currently given up with it and spray ceilings, cut in ceiling lines with brush down 5-6" then spray up to that.

The only thing I can think is either your paints stick better than ours or its something to do with drywall instead of plaster.

Any help appreciated. Love spraying so I'd like to learn how to completely spray without getting the brushes out :)

Thanks

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Spray the ceiling not being too concerned with how much overspray goes down the walls. Use a 3M masker with 12" paper or plastic and tape the ceiling then spray the walls. Tape pulling off some ceiling paint might happen, but usually that's with enamels, not flat paints. Not rushing to tape the ceiling and letting the thicker enamel get good and dry before taping is about all you can do to prevent tape pulling up the ceiling paint. This is not a problem using flat paints. You also may want to shop for a tape that isn't as sticky as others. Blue or green safe release tape isn't as sticky as regular masking tape. I find that white safe "gentle release" tape isn't sticky enough.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Spray the ceiling not being too concerned with how much overspray goes down the walls. Use a 3M masker with 12" paper or plastic and tape the ceiling then spray the walls. Tape pulling off some ceiling paint might happen, but usually that's with enamels, not flat paints. Not rushing to tape the ceiling and letting the thicker enamel get good and dry before taping is about all you can do to prevent tape pulling up the ceiling paint. This is not a problem using flat paints. You also may want to shop for a tape that isn't as sticky as others. Blue or green safe release tape isn't as sticky as regular masking tape. I find that white safe "gentle release" tape isn't sticky enough.
Thanks, I'm using 3M blue scotch tape & paper/plastic mostly off of the 3M making machine.

Only really use flat paints but I still seem to get it lifting the paint. Masking the ceilings sounds pretty awkward but I'll give that a go anyway. Cheers

·
Registered
49 Posts
If im only doing a couple rooms ill shoot the ceilings and cut and roll the walls. I do this because there is no way im making 2 trips for a job less than 3k. If I've got a whole home to spray or multiple homes in a row or a larger commercial buildout ill spray walls first and allow to sit overnight before I mask off walls to paint ceiling. I still use frogtape to ensure no paint gets pulled. You then spray or brush trim last to take care of any misting or overspray.

Alternatively you can get a good stiff spray shield and use a .211 tip or something similar to edge the ceiling with low pressure and then blow the center.

Make sure you are pulling your tape correctly as well. Keep the tape close to the surface and pull in parallel with the wall as opposed to ripping it off perpendicular to the wall.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Out west, the trend is to spray the wall color on the ceiling, unless its some dark color like burgundy or something. Painting a ceiling white that is going to have off-white on the walls is passe these days.

·
Registered
12,856 Posts
Out west, the trend is to spray the wall color on the ceiling, unless its some dark color like burgundy or something. Painting a ceiling white that is going to have off-white on the walls is passe these days.
That is what I was thinking. Every interior I have done lately was one color on both. Makes life easy.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Interesting. I'm in New Jersey. I was just fixing up a house to put it on the market. The living room and dining room were both blue on the walls and ceiling. It looked like such a cheap and lazy paint job to me. If it were me, I'd go out of my way to change the color of the ceilings to white.

·
Registered
12,856 Posts
To most of my customers it leaves a clean slate. Prospective buyers can change the colors to whatever they want.

If I was buying a house, I would want a slightly off white on walls and ceilings so I could do with it what I want.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Everything's primed first. Then ceilings are sprayed. Next I mask off what I need to, to spray the trim. Then mask off the trim and spray the walls.
I find it worth the time to do all the masking if it's a full paint job. If it's only a freshen up coat it's faster to brush & roll.

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
See my above post about being stuck in the 1970's

then take it to heart

no offense intended
It's neither east coast nor 70's. It will never catch on as the norm. I do more colors on ceilings these days.

I've only done the same color if it's got crown. Nothing wrong with it if it's done right. I've painted what I thought were some hideous colors only to see the room after being decorated and furnished and being impressed.

Around here if you're using the same color in a normal room with normal height ceilings it's an apartment.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
I think alot of this is going to depend on how much masking and taping is going to be involved per room.
I don't paint much because of my neck and shoulders but I always look at masking off time vs cutting in time, often i can cut in faster and if over a finished floor a piece of 30# felt and maybe cardboard is alot easier then taping tarps n such

Gimme a white out rental and its another story LoL I still don't care for painting much I look at a paint bucket and have it all over me somehow........the last spray job the spray tip holder cracked and the tip went 1 way and paint went all over me and everything else luckily it was outside and on grass

1 - 20 of 23 Posts