Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what you guys like to use to get the surface nice and clean before you paint and between any sandings.

Gonna have a lot of cleaning after skimcoating a bunch of rooms, has to be a decent way to do this quickly..

Thanks

·
...jammin
5,234 Posts
Will said:
Gonna have a lot of cleaning after skimcoating a bunch of rooms, has to be a decent way to do this quickly..
After sanding a skimcoat, I use a Swiffer on a stick to wipe up the dust

·
Back from the dead...
6,646 Posts
slickshift said:
After sanding a skimcoat, I use a Swiffer on a stick to wipe up the dust
Yep, what he said. I rarely ever clean any walls because I assume the sanding process will knock off most contaminants. Unless its got nicotine running down the walls, its a fairly useles step IMO. But watch out for hairspray, sticker adhesive, or other invisible contaminants.

BTW, the Swifter or vacuuming seems to be above and beyond for most painters. All new construction painters just assume the sprayer will knock the dust off as they go along. Seeing them even swiping it with a broom would shock me.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Like the Swiffer idea.. The walls aren't dirty but will just have a lot of dust sticking all over from sanding the entire rooms, and I am not spraying so I figured I better get them decent.

Thanks

·
Painting Contractor
1,176 Posts
ProWallGuy said:
BTW, the Swifter or vacuuming seems to be above and beyond for most painters. All new construction painters just assume the sprayer will knock the dust off as they go along. Seeing them even swiping it with a broom would shock me.
There's a reason for that though, no one in commercial or new construction wants to pay for it. I find it's a hell of a lot easier to justify this extra cost in residential repaint work. The last thing a GC or small business owner wants to hear is that your charging him $200 to clean the walls for whatever reason.

Of course there are exceptions to that on both sides.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Big ShopVac with brush attachments made by me. I always prime with BIN.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Shop Vac w/ brush

To clean drywall dust and debris, I drag a wide shop-vac attachment with small bristles attached to it over the surfaces. With new construction any plaster bits coming out of receptacles and corners will show and the painter will be blamed for poor prepwork, since the surfaces have never been painted before. New construction can be a PITA, with todays "lowwest bidder" drywall crews.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Teetorbilt said:
Big ShopVac with brush attachments made by me. I always prime with BIN.
Teetorbilt....why do you always prime with BIN?? Is it because it drys quickly therefore allowing you to put on a first coat of paint in the same day...may two coats?? I am familiar with this product and use it for nicotine / water stains, etc. But what's so special about it that you use it all the time??? Do you ever tint it??

Thanks.

Zeebo

·
The Deck Guy
3,126 Posts
ProWallGuy said:
I think Mr. Teet was referring to Zinsser's B-I-N shellac primer.
Maybe Teetor just likes to catch a buzz. :D
That stuff will get you sky-high in a non-ventilated space. I used in a small 1/2 bath a while ago and thought I would die in the process. It did cover the water stains like a champ though...

·
...jammin
5,234 Posts
ProWallGuy said:
I think Mr. Teet was referring to Zinsser's B-I-N shellac primer.
Works very well, but should be used sparingly
It's very stinky
It'll fry your brain pretty quick, it is a shellac

1 - 13 of 13 Posts