Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Livin the dream...
6,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a better way to transport my impact/drill/drill bits. It is a pet peeve of mine to not have the bits I need. I want to have everything right there????

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
I use pillbottles. I have a few of them that are about 6", so I can stick drill bits in there up to 1/2". For the bits, same thing. Gotta do big drugs to get those sizes.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Put them in a Systainer. Plenty of room for bits. You can customize them to your hearts content with the pick and pluck foam, or make inserts with plywood. You can also use a drawer Systainer below it for bits and screws, etc.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Spence I have a Sys2 with impact, drill and charger, below that is a 4 drawer sys, first drawer is augers/spades, second is bits and nut setters, third is steppers. Bottom drawer is 3 compartments, hole saws and pilots, twist drill set, drill taps and some random fasteners and junk.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
I screwed the sys to the sortainer then screwed the sortainer to a wheelie base.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Here's a couple old ones, but the setup hasn't changed.

·
Livin the dream...
6,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Spence I have a Sys2 with impact, drill and charger, below that is a 4 drawer sys, first drawer is augers/spades, second is bits and nut setters, third is steppers. Bottom drawer is 3 compartments, hole saws and pilots, twist drill set, drill taps and some random fasteners and junk.
I'm a moderate systainer user and was thinking of going that route. I'd like to get an 18v drill, impact, charger, and 4 batteries. Two batteries in the the drill/impact and two extra loose.

I'm still using 18v XRP so that probably isn't going to happen in a sys2. I don't want to carry a whole sortainer worth of drill bits. I don't think I need something that big. Maybe a sys 1 full of bits? I'll wait and see what other guys post.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
I'm a moderate systainer user and was thinking of going that route. I'd like to get an 18v drill, impact, charger, and 4 batteries. Two batteries in the the drill/impact and two extra loose.

I'm still using 18v XRP so that probably isn't going to happen in a sys2. I don't want to carry a whole sortainer worth of drill bits. I don't think I need something that big. Maybe a sys 1 full of bits? I'll wait and see what other guys post.
An 18v drill will fit but not a drill and impact and 4 batteries.

·
Artist and not a curator
14,332 Posts
I had the same problem, I never had the bit I needed. I got the 4 drawer sortainer and put the drill and impact in the bottom along with large extensions, then top left drawer has tips and extensions, center is spade bits and forstner bits. Top right is twist bits, nut drivers, and specialties like stripped screw remover etc. Going to get a 9 drawer for fasteners and connect them.

Downfall is I have to keep a charger separate but I always have one in my toolbox in the truck and another in a toolbox for hand tools.

·
Livin the dream...
6,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I had the same problem, I never had the bit I needed. I got the 4 drawer sortainer and put the drill and impact in the bottom along with large extensions, then top left drawer has tips and extensions, center is spade bits and forstner bits. Top right is twist bits, nut drivers, and specialties like stripped screw remover etc. Going to get a 9 drawer for fasteners and connect them.

Downfall is I have to keep a charger separate but I always have one in my toolbox in the truck and another in a toolbox for hand tools.
Yep, that almost sounded like the answer until you said no charger. I have the 12 drawer sortainer. I might look into using the 4 drawer sortainer with a sys 1 for the extra batteries/charger and any other bits.

·
Livin the dream...
6,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Any chance you could post a pic with your drills in it?

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
I have 2 sets. one set is my rough work bits where im unsure what im drilling into then i have my nice work bits that are in systainers. The rough work tools are all inside their own cases in the stanley tool cart with a few other tools. I also found a use for my systainer tackle box. i have put my nice hole hawgs and hole saws in there with some other bits.

Product Wheel Machine Automotive wheel system Vehicle

Electronics Technology Electronic device Set tool Electronics accessory

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
we have all of our dewalt battery stuff in a big bag. bits are all in zip lock bags and small plastic containers. we only use that stuff once in a while though when we finish a deck.

·
Talking Head
5,388 Posts
Some of you guys spend more on carrying your tools around than I spend on my tools.:eek:

I just(2 hours ago) picked up a 9" Plano box for $3 at HD to replace my empty spice bottles. I'll keep that in the soft Makita bag I got with the 1.5 amp hour drill/driver kit along with 2 drills 1 impact 4 batteries and the charger.

·
Boondockian
1,478 Posts
I use the big Plano boxes for the bulk of my stuff. I also have a couple of the Dewalt bit sets I keep in my toolbags and a couple tiny plastic boxes that came with a Rigid bit set I keep in my belt.

·
Livin the dream...
6,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Some of you guys spend more on carrying your tools around than I spend on my tools.:eek:

I just(2 hours ago) picked up a 9" Plano box for $3 at HD to replace my empty spice bottles. I'll keep that in the soft Makita bag I got with the 1.5 amp hour drill/driver kit along with 2 drills 1 impact 4 batteries and the charger.
I agree. A systainer plus sortainer would add up to the cost of the drill set. However, for me, my drills are probably my most used tools. I want to be efficient in the way they are stored and I want them to fit into my existing system for my other tools. I have a bunch of random tools bags. I might grab one and throw some of those plano boxes in there. My dad has always used the boxes the drills come in...

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
I keep 3 small makita's,5 batteries,charger,set of dewalt bits, in a $6 open tool bag from Sears. I also have a set of speedbore bits in a $2 clear cylindrical case, and a very small plastic case with driver tips, unibits and mason bits in it. Weighs less than 15 lbs and can carry it easily with 1 hand. I hate going back and forth to my truck.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts