Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Have Trowel, Do travel
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reading here its become apparent to me that bids are done differently than what I see here in Europe.

Here the HO goes to a Technical Studio and they send an Engineer to study what gets done, and writes down a list of all the work to be done. From the foundations to the plumbing, ect.. They specify the types of work and the materials you must use. A "Job Proposal".
They hand that out to many Companies to make a bid. the rule is to discard the highest and the lowest and go from there.
Lowest bidder wins 9 out of ten times.

Their it seems its a little different. Does the HO contact you directly, and someone goes down to look at what they think must be done, and makes a detailed offer?

So 2 different Companies could have 2 totally different offers only because of the work and materials THEY THINK IS NEEDED.
Am I missing something?

·
Registered
288 Posts
There's probably a lot of ways to answer that question - depending on where over here you're talking about, what kind / scope of work, level of detail ... and, ultimately, how optimistic or pessimistic you want to be.

I'm a pretty optimistic person, but I'm going to give the pessimistic answer - bidding from one company to the next is pretty much apples and oranges. Even with clarified scopes and architectural involvement, its kind of a crap shoot.

·
Escaped contractor
189 Posts
So 2 different Companies could have 2 totally different offers only because of the work and materials THEY THINK IS NEEDED.
Am I missing something?
Yup that's about it. Same in most places around the world. But I like the way you describe. Is that for San Marino or other places in Europe too?

I have some building in other countries threads on here, would love to see some of those lovely old buildings of Italy if you care to post up.

BTW I wish builders could bid the way IT people do. I have a friend at, humm maybe i shouldnt mention the company, but its a big IT company, they did a big job for another big US company and quoted them 100 million. I asked him how they came up with 100 million and he said "well it's company X we know they have it, if they had said no, it gives a high point to work down from" Geez must be nice!

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Reading here its become apparent to me that bids are done differently than what I see here in Europe.

Here the HO goes to a Technical Studio and they send an Engineer to study what gets done, and writes down a list of all the work to be done. From the foundations to the plumbing, ect.. They specify the types of work and the materials you must use. A "Job Proposal".
They hand that out to many Companies to make a bid. the rule is to discard the highest and the lowest and go from there.
Lowest bidder wins 9 out of ten times.

Their it seems its a little different. Does the HO contact you directly, and someone goes down to look at what they think must be done, and makes a detailed offer?

Am I missing something?
My brief experience with custom home building in the South of France wasn't like your description of European building, at all. It was the extreme opposite - it was 100% about the personal relationships. The tax incentives to conceal wealth are so strong that most of the transaction happens under the table. My experience, anyway, and as I said brief.

·
Have Trowel, Do travel
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
on the proposal they give you, there is every conceivable job to give a bid on, and more.
that is, my bidding all the jobs, the total for all jobs will come to 230'000.00 dollars.
when all is said and done, the total work completed will be 80'000.00,

The really good Studio will perceive every possible way to do the same job.
I like it this way,
Change orders are rare and the clients know from off the bat the maximum that they could spent.

This way of doing things has screwed over many and many GC's and builders.

personal relations count only when 2 companies are close in the bid.

to build a house if your builder friend costs 60'000 more, than another reputable firm,
you just lost a friend

1 - 5 of 5 Posts