Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my guys apparently spilled some mineral spirits on a public road in front of a customer's home. The customer is complaining and saying they got poor service because of this issue.

Normally I'd say good luck to you mr. customer since it' s a public road but this one customer seems like a complainer and a problem if we don't resolve this issue.

What is the best way to remove a mineral spirits stain from the road?

Powerwash it?

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,736 Posts
Mineral spirits will eat asphalt. It's not a stain, it's damage.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,736 Posts
Pretty easy to tell asphalt from concrete.

Mineral Spirits won't affect concrete. You might be able to scrub the stain away on that.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Pretty easy to tell asphalt from concrete.

Mineral Spirits won't affect concrete. You might be able to scrub the stain away on that.
The road is a light grayish color like concrete and the area where the mineral spirits spilled darkened.

·
Radical Basement Dweller
29,484 Posts
New and clean mineral spirits or used with junk dissolved in it?

·
Radical Basement Dweller
29,484 Posts
Clean mineral spirits, scrub brush and pressure washing would be my plan of attack.

I hate these instances where the "problem" is just not that big of a deal and the customer makes it one.

·
Radical Basement Dweller
29,484 Posts
Sometimes the customer seeing you are trying to make the situation right is all that's needed.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here is a pic. Does look to be asphalt.

I will be sending a guy out with simple green and a power washer to attempt to clean it up but I just emailed the customer and said our liability to him stops as his easement but would be happy to send someone out to attempt to clean it but could not guarantee results.

And the location of the stain looks to be in the middle of the street rather than where our trucks normally park. When we have had spillage in the past, it was right behind the trucks and was very small.

·
Project Superintendent
2,525 Posts
Whats the round spot right in front of the driveway? It that a clean out with an asphalt patch around it?

·
Project Superintendent
2,525 Posts
Well the driveway and curb are definitely concrete- the road looks like maybe old asphalt? If it is, you could use an asphalt sealer to cover it up. Problem with that is it will be black, so where do you stop?

1 - 20 of 83 Posts