Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
l'd do the greater dimensions as a large rectangle first.
Then subtract out the individual smaller areas from the large rectangle.
You can do Pythagorim formula on triangle, or just square the shape up into a rectangle, & divide by 2.

·
Design Build
7,455 Posts
I was going to do it on paper with a calculator................but then I don't frame with a hand saw or draw by hand......so like Andy did...use the tools available.

For area by hand, break everything into rectangles and triangles......very easy equations.
Or try sketchup, Chief Architect, Autocad, Softplan, Solid Builder, Revit, Archicad, Vectorworks, DraftSight......any 2D CAD app will do.
Is this a school project?
It's an odd shaped "building". Is it commercial with angled roads? Tell us more....one post is just never enough!

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
I was going to do it on paper with a calculator................but then I don't frame with a hand saw or draw by hand......so like Andy did...use the tools available.

For area by hand, break everything into rectangles and triangles......very easy equations.
Or try sketchup, Chief Architect, Autocad, Softplan, Solid Builder, Revit, Archicad, Vectorworks, DraftSight......any 2D CAD app will do.

View attachment 513033
That's a hell of a freebie for a new guy with one post.

I would be worried for the customers though if he couldn't figure it out on his own.

·
Registered
Demo
861 Posts
Well, I’m sorry you’re upset about the price, Mr. Customer. Thing is, you’ve got a number of zigs and zags in this place, and there ain’t no way in hell to figure the footage. I’m gonna have to order a butt load of material and hope it’s enough!

·
Registered
795 Posts
That's a hell of a freebie for a new guy with one post.

I would be worried for the customers though if he couldn't figure it out on his own.
My thoughts exactly. If he couldnt run those calcs, would you trust him to build? And thats a large commercial building ... ask the architect. Or maybe he is a student and we just did his homework.

·
Registered
Remodel
30,222 Posts
Cardboard isn't as consistent a weight (density) across a sheet, so cardboard is worse. It doesn't matter the size or scale, as long as you know what the scale is. The closer to the area taking up the whole sheet, the better.

Even a decent sheet of copier paper is amazingly consistent across the sheet.

Don't sweat on the stuff, though.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts