Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am curious. What is the best way to go about looking for a construction job when you are 500 or so miles away from where you want to go? Is it by calling up companies, email contact, or mailing in resumes? I want to move from Southern MS to the Tampa area. We have a chance to rent a house there from an old friend who lives in Virginia and we are trying to find a way to take advantage of it! Thanks a million!

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
I am curious. What is the best way to go about looking for a construction job when you are 500 or so miles away from where you want to go? Is it by calling up companies, email contact, or mailing in resumes? I want to move from Southern MS to the Tampa area. We have a chance to rent a house there from an old friend who lives in Virginia and we are trying to find a way to take advantage of it! Thanks a million!

You're probably not going to find much work down there.

A previous employee,who lived in that area is back up here because of the lack of work.

There's also a scam going on where you are promised a job and have to come up with a fee to secure the position.

Be careful,and good luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh I would never pay anyone to find me a job! I noticed some ads also that want a fee to find a rental home for you...sounds fishy. The nice thing is that I am a plumber who not only does the construction part but I also do service work. There is nothing where I am at also! Which is deep south MS....it is horrible here. I should've stayed in Virginia! Right now I am delivering pizzas after plumbing up in VA for 15 years. Nice huh.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Ouch thats rough brother. I say just do it. Go. Worst case scenario you are delivering pizzas in Tampa (HOTTIES!) as opposed to Mississippi....I'd jump all over it. Something will come up.

·
strat hd
1,695 Posts
Prior to going to MS. after katrina I made alot of phone calls. Each answer was the same. "call me when you get here".

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey there hungry4....no offense but for 1.) delivering pizzas is humiliating!
2.) I am married 3.) delivering pizza is a terrible wear and tear on my car!
But thanks anyhow. I guess I'd do it if I had to in Tampa!

Strathd....I know what you mean! I made calls to MS before leaving VA and was told straight up that there wasn't much work here. But I came anyhow with high hopes. Boy was I an idiot! But I've got to think a city like Tampa would have more opporunity to unclog toilets and sinks! They only have septic tanks here! And NO BODY has a garbage disposal! My wife cleans for a home health place and one lady didn't even know what one was! :laughing:

·
Custom Stuff
867 Posts
You're online. Check out every plumber who has a web presence, email them. Start a dialog. Email handymen, they may need plumbers. Email both residential and commercial. Email all homebuilders and builders. You get the point?

·
Design Build
8,230 Posts
As an employee or as a contractor?

Licensing probably requires a test of some sort...

As an employee...send a resume to every person you can imagine wanting to work for. Then, go see all of them when you get there. Perseverance often pays off.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
As an employee or as a contractor?

Licensing probably requires a test of some sort...

As an employee...send a resume to every person you can imagine wanting to work for. Then, go see all of them when you get there. Perseverance often pays off.
Oh as an employee. I'd have to get licensed in Fl. before I could do contracting. But that is a longer term goal! :thumbsup:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts