Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
12,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just like the title says. A couple of weeks ago I was doing a bunch of taping and mudding at the new place. I covered it up enough I figured, but got frustrated, it was midnight, I had to go out of town for a week or more the next day and I just went for it. Needless to say, I made a rookie move of a mess. :censored:

Any way, without yanking my chain, too much, anyway, how can I get this crap up. The floor has had a light sanding, but we are going to put the drum sander to it in a few weeks just before we move in, as the vibrating sander left most of the finish still on.

Can I use some water to get it up and then let it dry? Fir and oak with the finish off the high spots. Will it all just sand off? If so, I still need to get it up, at least to make it look like I didn't just shat drywall mud all over the place. It isn't bad everywhere, just in a small landing and around a couple doors and one wall area. Then it tracked a bit. Yeah, I know. I'm an idiot. :whistling

·
Registered
345 Posts
Scrape it up with a blade of any kind and let the drum sander do the rest. My floor guy likes it when I make a mess.......I think it's more fun to sand that way. Hope I'm understanding your question.

Good luck!

·
Registered
12,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
IIRC, it's 45 minute. I wasn't sure if the water would hurt the floors. I'll give it a scrub down tomorrow with just enough water to get it up.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Red oak turns grey if you leave water on it---so be careful----scrape it off with a knife --if a finisher is going to sand---leave it.

·
Want to play a game?
4,522 Posts
Usually hot mud becomes brittle in blobs. You should be able chip it up then a damp rag to clean up the white spots.

·
Focusing on solutions.
Hardwood floors/custom cabinets
5,716 Posts
Plastic putty knife + damp sponge. Squeeze out all the extra water. Easy job.
Did you guys miss the part where he said he was going to sand these floors? No need to worry about any extra cleaning, unless it's between the cracks in the floorboards. Drum sander will eat everything for the first 1/16th inch.

·
Registered
12,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was hoping that was the case. The chunks are up, it's just the white from the mud itself that looks bad now. I may just try and make it look a bit less nasty in case any of my customers or the current owner, my landlord, stops by. Also to keep us from stomping it into the grain anymore as it is right in the main pathway.

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Did you guys miss the part where he said he was going to sand these floors? No need to worry about any extra cleaning, unless it's between the cracks in the floorboards. Drum sander will eat everything for the first 1/16th inch.
Yes, I saw that. Maybe it's me, but I hate the idea of kicking up extra drywall dust. I'd feel better with a quick clean-up.

·
Registered
943 Posts
pinwheel said:
He also said he wanted to clean it up so it didn't look like "he shat drywall mud" all over.

·
Head Light Bulb Changer
847 Posts
Just hit it with a scraper (try not gouge the wood) and sweep/vacuum. Stay away from water as much as you can. Don't stress about it unless you've spilled a lot of chit on it.

We do a lot of refinish work. I encourage my clients to get their painting, drywall work done before we get there so they don't have to be overly careful. Paint & mud sands right off with a drum sander/edger.
That's the best way IMO. Do your touch-ups and punch before final coat, in case you drop/spill something so the floor guys can fix it while they're there.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts