Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
12,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a well that sat unused for a year or so. Over the course of the last few months, I have repeatedly drained the tank and pumped out the well. It still is consistently this whizz red color.

Any guys who deal with wells in here? What can we do about this. There is no filter, but it didn't do this before the system sat. Any cheap ways to filter this thing? Sorry for the toilet pic. Unless you're into that sort of thing, then you're welcome. :laughing:

Attachments

·
Trees are Cool
195 Posts
We open up a kids summer camp house every spring. The water is rust colored due to the tanks. They need to be flushed out for hours and hours to run clear.

·
Registered
12,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We open up a kids summer camp house every spring. The water is rust colored due to the tanks. They need to be flushed out for hours and hours to run clear.
I've flushed it quite a bit, but only once in the evenings when we are shutting down to head home. The only tank we have is a pressure tank.

Must have metal pipes in the well. Have you use any bleach poured right down the well.
I haven't. I suppose I need to find out how to get bleach into it and try that.

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
I've got a house on a well that was idle for a quite a while too.

There was kind of a smell, (no discoloration), especially in the hot.

I just opened the washer line, and a couple faucets, and let it run for a couple hours..

Seems to be good now:rolleyes:

·
Registered
55 Posts
If I had to guess I would say you have iron bacteria in your well.you need to shock your well.the quickest way to tell is lift your tank lid on you toilet if it fells slimy to the touch you need to shock your well let me know what you find and I will do my best to help

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
5,984 Posts
It's a widely accepted procedure.
So was DDT.

And pouring chemicals wholesale into the ground.

And taking Thalidimide while pregnant.

And bombarding yourself with massive doses of radiation.

And on and on.

Chlorine was invented as a chemical weapon, positively kills people and contributes to poor health. And there is no known way to break it down, not even composting.

·
Registered
12,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
We'll probably do a shock treatment on it eventually. I just talked to the current owner, my landlord, and it seems they have had the same problem in the past. It was intermittent, so there's hope. I'll do a lot of flushing and clean out the pressure tank first.

For the near future, we will just have drinking/cooking water delivered.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
So was DDT.

And pouring chemicals wholesale into the ground.

And taking Thalidimide while pregnant.

And bombarding yourself with massive doses of radiation.

And on and on.

Chlorine was invented as a chemical weapon, positively kills people and contributes to poor health. And there is no known way to break it down, not even composting.
In the city you can't drink tap water without chloramine in it.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts