Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

61 - 78 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
My heart really goes out here ...I know the price we pay , the wear and tear on the soul, to do this for a living. To survive out here takes nerve, guts, skill, people skills, brains, and a little stupidity sometimes .

·
Registered
269 Posts
how do i get out of this? crazy client edition

No. Her daughter did. Early that morning I think..overdose ....

This thread, there's a huge lesson in this whole thread for all of us ....going against your gut instinct is what this thread is really about , am I right . You know guys, there's no shortage of work for real pros...it's sorting through it and finding the clients and jobs best suited for you.

Want to know what I look for in jobs?

1. Older, mature clients
2. Class
3. Geographic proximity ...I like jobs close together so I can be on top of them.
4 . Jobs that we have a history of performing well on
5. Jobs we can turn.

People will tell you there is money in this, that or whatever....the money is in someone else's account and the goal is to get it in yours ...and jobs you turn...which means execute well, will do that.
What a perfect world you must be in. So you only do work for mature clients & age makes them mature. You can read people right off the bat and tell they have class. I've worked lower end jobs that the people had way more class than the higher end. We work 5 counties and I'd be thrilled to have 2 jobs less than an hour apart. Our performance is the same foundation to roof. If they all turned like a dream I wouldn't be out here still beating myself up after 45 years. Now what's your secret again.

·
Registered
11,220 Posts
What a perfect world you must be in. So you only do work for mature clients & age makes them mature. You can read people right off the bat and tell they have class. I've worked lower end jobs that the people had way more class than the higher end. We work 5 counties and I'd be thrilled to have 2 jobs less than an hour apart. Our performance is the same foundation to roof. If they all turned like a dream I wouldn't be out here still beating myself up after 45 years. Now what's your secret again.
Is your name Rob? :whistling

That is the same thing I look for in a customer. Why wouldn't you. Do you hit it every time, not really, but you strive for good customers close to home.

·
Registered
269 Posts
how do i get out of this. crazy client edition

Is your name Rob? :whistling

That is the same thing I look for in a customer. Why wouldn't you. Do you hit it every time, not really, but you strive for good customers close to home.
Busting balls here. No just dreaming of what it would be like living in your premadonna bubble.

·
Banned
3,075 Posts
We all "prefer" mature, classy, and wealthy clients.

Let's be honest though.....

If A-A had three jobs down the block for Jackie O and her friends.....
we wouldn't be talking about the Crazy Crying Lady....

would we?

Learn how to make lemonade from lemons (with your interpersonal dealings (and a whole host of other chit)),
or find another business....
because unless you inherited your father's ace crew and dream client list on Martha's Vineyard.......you will need to learn how to overcome challenges and find profit in "less than perfect" circumstances.

Reactions: aaron_a

·
Registered
11,220 Posts
I really hate having to drive more then 15 minutes to get to a job.
Since I live 10 minutes out of town, it is always at least a ten minute drive. Unless I work for the nearby neighbors. I don't mind a short drive, as living in the country is more than worth a bit longer drive.

·
Registered
4,565 Posts
I had a customer once that made so many changes that we ended up parting ways. Over a year of renovations in phases. But I made money.

Sounds like this one could go that way. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Well, not sure what brought the sarcastic comment on, but yes, i discern if people will be difficult, I have an ideal client profile (not what I always get by the way) and I face all the challenges every contractor faces...but i work deliberately as I can, and I can read people fairly well, but I miss it from time to time ...just ask my attorney.

·
This space for lease
5,323 Posts
That's the most red flags I think I've ever sen in one story. The shower thing alone would have probably made me walk. She's telling you right up front that your time is not important to her.

If it was just the son to deal with it sounds like it would be worth it but she sounds like she spends her mornings with her head in a paint mixer.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
That's a fact . all I'm saying is if you don't know what you are looking for, you won't know it when you see it ...and that means life is going to be hit or miss

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
Well, I gave them some time and then sent them this email last week.

Hi -----,

Thanks for having me over to look at your library project last week. Before we get started on the design phase of your project, I wanted to make sure that you and your family had some time to discuss the project a bit more, and make sure that everyone will be happy with the final result.

Before I left, your son had said something that stuck with me. What he had said was that you two needed to discuss whether or not a project in our $20-$30k price range would be something that your wife would be happy with in the end.

I sensed that there was some tension over this, and wanted to make sure that everyone involved was on the same page.

Let me know if this is something you truly want to move forward with, and I will be more than happy to get started on a design for you, if not, I will be destroy the check and we can go our separate ways.

I also wanted to note, that if we do decide to move forward with designing this, and I am faced with numerous change requests in the design and proposal, there will be additional fees. This will be solely at my discretion, and I only do this to ensure that I will be fairly compensated for my time involved.

Thank you, and I look forward to hearing from you.

Got a call the other day saying they want to talk about it some more, but his son is back in california for 10 days. I feel like I've got my bases covered so far. I've given myself enough room to have an out, or at least set some ground rules with them before moving forward so my time isnt wasted.

·
Registered
84 Posts
So, I just went out to an upscale neighborhood to look at a job last night. The lady called me looking to have a room in her house turned into a library.

I show up, her husband answers the door. He says she's out back and goes to get her. She comes out covered in gardening dirt, and tells me she needs to go take a shower first. Which she does. Strike one...

So I end up talking with the husband for a while, looking through design ideas they like. It take wifey quite a while to get her shower in. She finally comes down and we start talking about the project. She's got all these crazy dreams and wants walnut everything, everywhere. She keeps going on some tangents about other projects she wants too. She asks me about putting pocket doors in a load bearing wall, I tell her it's gonna cost a ton of money because of all the structural work, and it looked like she was about to cry. So we go back to looking at the original project.

Part of the project is putting a coffered ceiling in the library. Her daughter in law mentions doing tin panels in the coffers and she gets all excited and drags me into the kitchen to show me her dreams of having a tin ceiling in the 200 best buy gift card kitchen and re working the mantle in the dining room. She asks me for a price on that, and I tell her I would have to charge for a design and proposal, and she actually starts to cry. Tears running down her face crying.

We go back into the living room where her family is. She is asking me to price out her whole big dream, luckily her son, who I think is paying for it says no. He tells her it's gonna be well over 100k (smart kid). So she runs out of the house crying again.

Husband and son ask me to write up a proposal for a library in the 20-30k range. I tell them to make sure they're serious about it, and that it's something they really intend to do. They agree, and give me the check for a proposal.

When I got in the truck I just had one of those "oh no" moments. I was just too flustered to think ahead and realize what a nightmare this woman will be. I've got half a mind to email the husband and decline the project and rip up the check. I just don't know how to do it tactfully without insulting his wife.

The husband and son seem totally reasonable, and if the wife wasn't involved it would probably be a great project.
Dude if you are a bad person, send her off to a friend! LOL.

Otherwise I would say bail.

·
John the Builder
16,993 Posts
Well, I gave them some time and then sent them this email last week.

Got a call the other day saying they want to talk about it some more, but his son is back in california for 10 days. I feel like I've got my bases covered so far. I've given myself enough room to have an out, or at least set some ground rules with them before moving forward so my time isnt wasted.
If I ever get in a predicament like yours, I want to hire you to write the letter.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Guys , straight up ....its not the type of job (custom, residential,commercial, etc) ...and not always the price . I truly believe that the best money is in the work you can stay on top of, turn efficiently and service well . for me , geographic proximity is huge ...driving doesn't pay, absence cost and slow project turn s equal slow revenue and lost jobs .

61 - 78 of 78 Posts