Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I work in northern VA and Washington DC area and I want to start getting contracts with apartment complexes, Home owner's associations, Condo Associations, Military Bases etc. Does anyone know what would be the best way to approach organizations like these? What is the best way to get your company name noticed by these people.

I have thought about just searching the internet, making a list and cold calling them saying we are offering XYZ discount. My expertise is in the area of chimney cleanings and repairs if that helps. In everyone's experience what is the best way to actively pursue business with such groups?

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Chimneys? Wood burning fireplace chimneys?

Edit: Cold-calling property managers, I would guess. In condo/HOA situations, you'd probably be dealing with individual homeowners, but the HOA could give you an idea of how to reach the homeowners through a newsletter, bulletin boards, whatever. Don't be surprised if you have to beef up your liability insurance ($2MM+), show proof of worker's comp insurance, and show your business license.

Military bases? Do they have chimneys, outside of the historic parts? Do they ever set fires in them? Doing work for the federal government, including the military, is a paperwork-intensive deal. Call the main base phone number and tell them what you're selling, and they'll probably figure out the right procurement office for you to talk to.

Good old fashioned cold-calling. Have fun.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I doubt you want the apartment community chimney cleaning business. my past experience with anything apartments is they want to pay 25% of what it actually pays because they feel they have a bulk discount.

I had one place i did some painting for when i started and was learning, they only had 30 units but felt they needed a super discount price. i had to tell the owners, wether you have 2 units or 4 its still the same amount of work to paint. its the same price for every unit.

Never got called back! and it was good as i wasted a lot of time. The owners would go to home depot in his lincoln truck and get illegal workers, and then stand there and talk to me about them.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Never had much luck in the maryland area with the hoa's, prop. Management companies either. Just like jeep kid says they want it CHEAP and I'm not a nonprofit. If you think you can be competitive though you're just going to have to pound the pavement. Be persistent, it might take a few calls/meetings to get work. All the big subdivision in my area have hoa meetings and email lists, try to get in one. Although the newer houses are pretty much gas fireplaces. Good luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts