Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi so I’m starting to realise it’s all sales and lead generation/marketing when your remodeling as opposed to doing all the hands on work yourself... I need to make more money long story short my dad is nearly 60 and is still tiling etc it’s f*d if you ask me..

I admire guys who keep going but I think this is the only direction to go in focusing on sales.

My question is if you were working in your business (on the tools) as opposed to running it/sales etc how did you transition to being a hands off builder/GC?

It’s difficult being a son and watching my old man barely be able to even lift basic stuff it’s getting worse eg tool box is too heavy...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
24,714 Posts
You get higher end clients by establlishing a reputation and having the experience to pull high end jobs off.

It takes more word of mouth than a fancy website.

I had very high end people with no advertising, no website and an unlisted phone number.

When people want you they will find you...

·
Kowboy
2,277 Posts
It depends upon the nature of your business. I replace kitchen sinks. Although I get repeat customers and occasional referrals, it doesn't lend itself to the word-of-mouth model so I advertise. With the cost of the ads, I set a hundred dollar bill on fire every time my phone rings whether or not I get the job. One of the most difficult things I had to learn was qualifying the callers, as I used to run every lead which was monumentally time consuming.

I recently made 10 sales from 11 leads, all without budging on my high prices. If I make it to your house, you're probably gonna replace your kitchen sink, because I was brutal with you on the phone.

Advertising or word-of-mouth, you've got to do something to make qualified potential customers call you, then start sortin' through them.

·
Focusing on solutions.
Hardwood floors/custom cabinets
5,700 Posts
You get higher end clients by establlishing a reputation and having the experience to pull high end jobs off.

It takes more word of mouth than a fancy website.

I had very high end people with no advertising, no website and an unlisted phone number.

When people want you they will find you...
^^^^This^^^^^

It doesn't happen over night. It comes from hundreds of satisfied clients being excited enough about you, to sell you to their friends, peers & family.

Something went wrong with our website a couple years ago, so I no longer have one that works. We barely have a FB presence. Our truck & trailer are lettered. .That's the extent of our advertising. I can't tell you how many people tell us how hard it was to find our phone #. If they work that hard to find us, closing the sale is just a formality.

Emphasis needs to be on "satisfied" clients. We do whatever it takes, that when they hand us that check, that theres no issues that we didn't resolve. And on occasion, that means we lose some profit to make sure they're satisfied. (extra trips cut into profit)

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'm assuming you are in the flooring trade. Most installers want to have their own flooring company.

My suggestion is to get in contact with Renovations, Custom Home builders and such. These are typically willing to pay more for good flooring work.

Why not regular houses and commercial work? The big guys will typically beat you. Not that you have to close that door, but concentrate where the odds are on your favor.

The big guys have lots of advantages over you but they cannot apply those as much in renos and custom homes. These typically buy their materials from "anywhere" the customer found what they like. Then the contractor needs someone to install it.
But that installer must be good and reliable.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
51,852 Posts
When they ask how much, charge more.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
The transition is simple if you desire being a paper boy. High custom comm. & resi jobs = more cake. It won’t come via adds, website or typical remodels. You have to get out, mix it up & beat the doors down on the big developers. In today’s market, it’s out there. For how long, different thread. If your not willing to have a few aches & pains time to time, it ain’t happening. Your pops built the business hands on, so you have to find your way to make the mix work. But — without hands on knowledge, how can you know what to expect from subs etc. Most on here have done exactly that. Unless it just fell in their lap. As far as your rates, if your clients are crying, that’s not the market you want to be in. If long term clients cry when you bump it up, that’s when a savy paper boy closes the sale

Mike

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
A guy told us once "I would rather eat PB&J while sitting at home than having to eat PB&J while working my butt off"
I had one of my customers tell me "You're better off starving than working for some of the people I know." I'm not looking for the higher paying customers I want the ones that won't question my price or make the job miserable. I've been fortunate for 32 years and I also know when say "No thanks."

·
Registered
12,360 Posts
A guy told us once "I would rather eat PB&J while sitting at home than having to eat PB&J while working my butt off"
Been there. I remember times when I had a gallon of water and a little Debbie snack cake for lunch. Dinner was a pack of hot dogs that had to last me and the wife 3 days.

Yeah, I've been broke. Sometimes, self inflicted, but broke none the less.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
windows & siding
846 Posts
There's more than one way to skin this cat, but whether you've been building a reputation for years or you started yesterday and pump money into advertising, the most basic answer to how to get "higher paying customers" is to charge the price that you want/need to charge. The people that will do business with you at that price are those that you are looking for. The tricky part of course is how to justify a higher price than options B and C, and that is where its important to build value in what you have to offer. What do you do better than those options? Educate them on that... That, or be an excellent sales person if you aren't providing any more value. I'm not a fan of the latter, but if you can combine both, then you are really on to something.

·
Registered
754 Posts
do you really want high end clients? do you have the ability to meet their demands? do you have what it takes? High rolling clients aren't normal people, they got to their place in life because they operate differently than the average persone. Putting a 25k window well in for a client, it's window and a well, should it cost less, sure, am I over charging them? No. I have no issues charging what I'm charging, but charging that much puts you in the hot seat and you need to be nothing short of a man servant for these types of people. This guy get 1/100 of % every time you swipe a credit card. Not a bad job in life. But when he called me early saturday morning and said that amazon delivered his new tv a few days early, before he planned to arrive at what is his 4th or 5th home, he asked if I could put it inside for him. So I went over and put his tv inside on a saturday morning. Did I drive an hour and half each way and spend two hours looking at exotic wood with a client so she could have a special floating shelf in her living room? Was I bored to tears, going in circle, totally frustrated? Yes. Did I smile and do exactly as she asked? Yes.

This doesn't happen over night, fifteen years ago I would not have been prepared to deal with these people. Today I happily try to get down on my knees as much as possible to point at something or try to describe something, I look up at the client while on the floor and on my knees and graciously smile and assure them that we will deliver, you just have to pay the price. It works wonders.

·
Registered
Carpentry
229 Posts
Long ago I was discussing pricing with a buddy of mine, he asked me for a five dollar bill, I handed it to him and he put it in his pocket. He then said the easiest way to make money is to ask for it.
Sounds like your buddy was quite the philosopher.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts