Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey, anyone have a easy fix for this. I was cutting the screws behind the durock to shim the tile wall straight and the blade popped out and ate a big chunk out of the aluminum strip. Anyone know how to touch up brushed nickel (aluminum)? I was gonna cut the grout straight down along the side then cut straight down that grove with a angle grinder to take out just the showing part of the strip. Then cut a new strip to the same dimensions and liquid nails it in place and re grout? Whacha got?

Attachments

·
General Contractor
8,080 Posts
I got one thing... When you start to hack s^*t up, no matter what you do it will look hacked up...

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's what I was afraid of. The wall tile had about a half inch bow to it. In order to get a sliding door in there and have it look good I had to get it straight. Not to mention the caulk line it would have had on the the flat 1/2" drywall. So I cut the durock screws and shimmed the middle out a bit.

·
Talking Head
5,388 Posts
Were you responsible for the tile too? I'd have a chat with the guy who thought that was okay.

If the scratch is fairly shallow then you might be able to sand it out enough to pass. I've had to tidy up the brushing on Schluter before with scrubby pads. Take a scrap and test out the different grits. Maroon usually works best for me. You will need to feather out the sanding a few inches in either direction to avoid creating a "dent" and probably work up to a high grit before you attempt to apply the brush marks.

If it's a coated aluminum then you're probably SOL and need to replace it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts