Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
image-3151108965.jpg

I know it looks like it's supposed to be a 45 but when I cut both boards at 22.5 they didn't line up. I usually just keep tweaking the miter saw until I get it right but I want to do it quicker and easier.

·
Artist and not a curator
12,915 Posts
Lay a board over the other board. Mark both edges where they intersect.

Lather, rinse, repeat
Yup, or snap a line parallel at a couple inches off existing angle and find intersection. Or use a bevel square, or spend the money on a kapex and be happy life just got simpler.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Lay a board over the other board. Mark both edges where they intersect.

Lather, rinse, repeat
Agreed, first thing I thought of when I saw the picture. Just make sure you have your spacing between the boards before you mark it. A 16 penny nail works great for this...

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
You could also lay long board in place, & mark straight edge to the corner of the upper deck, cut, & mark second board with 1st cut. Basically aim the cut at the upper deck corner for the first cut.

·
Registered
11,370 Posts
Not really my thing, but it looks like one could even lay a board on the ground and use the concrete control joint as a guide. Mark it, take it to the saw, swing the blade to match it up.

Or how about this: lay all the boards on one side of the steps. Use a vertical laser level to line up your straight edge to mark 'em all. (Make sure the beam lines up with the control joint and the top corner.)

·
Registered
106 Posts
Its not a 45 because where the deck boards actually meet is not the same point as where the corners on the skirt boards meet. For cryin out loud I can see that from my house...

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I knew how to get it close and then adjust the miter saw to get it exact. I just want to know how to get it on the first try and the boards fit tight all the way down the miter

·
Registered
106 Posts
Each joint will be a different collaboration to get to the 45 degree angle. Since the out lying point is off the point of the deck it will drift one way or the other. So it could start out 23/22 then go to 21/24 and so on... Finding common ground from the starting corner and scribing a line out to the edge of the board between the 2 stringers may help.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts