Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, new to the forum!

I am new to the contractor world as the executive assistant/etc. office person. I've been here for a few months and have been left in charge of coming up with some marketing material. The idea for flyers and thank-you cards is on the table, and I've come up with several different designs. It may be an affordable way to market, but it still costs money. I've been reading the forums for several days now trying to figure out how to do this properly, and I'm not really sure where our company fits in.

We are a general contracting company that specializes in disaster restoration. Most of our jobs are water and mold remediation with the occasional remodel. The thing is, this trade is rather specific and doesn't have quite the clientele that most forum conversations are discussing. We rarely have repeat customers (how many people have multiple home disasters?) and it's not exactly something the average person really needs (like painting, flooring, etc.) so it's a little hard to market to. Being new to the industry, I have very little relevant experience and only really have the input of a consumer.

Sending thank-you cards is pretty straight forward, regardless of the trade. I've seen mixed opinions on whether or not to ask for reviews on the same card along with the thank you. What I've done in designing the card is to simply put 'Stay connected with us!' with urls and QR codes for Facebook and Yelp - just throwing it out there, not asking for reviews. The card has our logo and this short message:

"We recognize that your trust in us to perform work in your home is significant. Your confidence drives us to provide nothing but top quality service!

Of course we don't wish the burden of disaster on anyone... but should you ever be in need of our services, we are always here for you, day or night."

As a consumer, it sounded like something I'd like to see, should I need restoration services. From a marketing standpoint, how does it sound?

Now, for the difficult part. How in the heck do you market disaster restoration services with flyers on doors? I know the most eye-catching designs feature photos, but it's not the most appealing thing in the world to come home to a flyer with photos of mold and water damage on your door. If it were me, I'd rather not hang that on the fridge for future reference which is, to me, the entire point of a flyer. The only other thing I can think of that will grab attention is referencing free estimates and the fact that we will cover 50% of their deductible, up to $500. You can't exactly make a whole flyer out of that, can you?

I guess, simply put, I'm looking for a little direction. Most of the resources I've found pertain to more common general contracting trades like painting and flooring, and not so much to disaster restoration. It's hard to market something unpleasant, especially being so new to it. Help! :sad:

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
I'd expect your marketing to focus on insurance companies, then Internet pay per click advertising for when people need your services immediately.

·
Registered
11,556 Posts
Are you responsible for the marketing plan or mainly securing some materials? The marketing plan (if there is one) determines the design, copy, quantities, etc. What's the strategy?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We hired a third party marketing guy, but he doesn't seem to be doing anything for us. Our social media hasn't been touched and his SEO campaign isn't really helping much. I haven't officially been put in charge of marketing, but at this time I am the sole person working on it.

The strategy the owner wants to use is putting flyers on doors in any neighborhood we're currently doing a job in.

·
Registered
11,556 Posts
We hired a third party marketing guy, but he doesn't seem to be doing anything for us. Our social media hasn't been touched and his SEO campaign isn't really helping much. I haven't officially been put in charge of marketing, but at this time I am the sole person working on it.

The strategy the owner wants to use is putting flyers on doors in any neighborhood we're currently doing a job in.
Well, you're asking the right questions. Just make sure you have the "buy-in" from the owner. As this point it sounds like throwing spaghetti at the wall....and only occasionally.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the input. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one confused by the situation. Since I really don't have any experience in disaster restoration, I really don't feel like I'm qualified to give advice on other avenues to take. We do have a few agents and a plumber we are getting leads from.

·
Registered
111 Posts
What is your website address?

While I think handing out flyers in neighborhoods you are working in has benefits for most contractors, I don't think it will have much benefit for a restoration company.

·
Registered
819 Posts
i have worked for several fire/water resto companies...they all get their jobs from insurance agents.....its good for you because you have a limited # of potential contacts....
find them and put them in a database...i would send out fliers every few months...keep your company fresh in their minds...call them once a year

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
CQC - Our website is www.resicomgc.com

Huggy - That sounds like a great idea, rerouting the idea of flyers on doors into flyers to adjusters and agents. What kind of information would you want to present to them? We estimate and bill based off Xactimate, which most insurance agents do, so it's not like we can brag that we're cheaper, etc. than others.

·
Registered
11,556 Posts
CQC - Our website is www.resicomgc.com

Huggy - That sounds like a great idea, rerouting the idea of flyers on doors into flyers to adjusters and agents. What kind of information would you want to present to them? We estimate and bill based off Xactimate, which most insurance agents do, so it's not like we can brag that we're cheaper, etc. than others.
Ok, now I'm going to push back like a high-dollar consultant. (They will facilitate discussions, and help steer toward solutions, but they will not/cannot providing the answers.)

"YOUR company is best qualified to know what you do and how YOU deliver. YOU know what's best for your market since it's YOUR market (If you don't, you need to figure it out.)"

Hint: your mission statement looks likes the info you seek. But only you know if it accurately reflects/differentiates your company or is just marketing jargon.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Is there a written marketing plan that the consultant has developed? I'd ask to review that as a first step.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Mark - I'm definitely not looking for the 'answers,' just hoping maybe someone here has experience with/as insurance companies and may know what stands out in differentiating marketing to them rather than to the consumer. Consumers are more driven by what they get out of it, but what are agents driven by? How do they benefit from recommending a restoration company? Would it even be appropriate to offer referral kickbacks? I know our business and what we have to offer, but targeting the pitch to an agent rather than to a consumer seems a different ballgame to me.

CQC - No, the marketing guy is really kind of a wildcard. He was hired on the premises that he'd be doing SEO and social media, but there was no real plan in place. The most he's done is tell us where our clicks are coming from - Google, shocker! - and that's it. He really hasn't done ANYTHING. At this point, I'd say that we don't have any marketing in place.

·
Particulate Filter
4,430 Posts
I would have a templated website and then buy domain names with relevant keywords including trade and geographic location. When a storm comes through you have your website for newtonroofrepair.com and newtonstormdamage.com etc etc etc ready to go online. Overtime your marketing department should carefully analyze ppc campaigns and domain name combinations that correlate with the best roi. Domain names help sig. In ranking and ppc. Maybe you have 1 or two hundred to start with or just have your web guy churn landing pages for each campaign.

You owe me 50k.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Mark - I'm definitely not looking for the 'answers,' just hoping maybe someone here has experience with/as insurance companies and may know what stands out in differentiating marketing to them rather than to the consumer. Consumers are more driven by what they get out of it, but what are agents driven by? How do they benefit from recommending a restoration company? Would it even be appropriate to offer referral kickbacks? I know our business and what we have to offer, but targeting the pitch to an agent rather than to a consumer seems a different ballgame to me.

CQC - No, the marketing guy is really kind of a wildcard. He was hired on the premises that he'd be doing SEO and social media, but there was no real plan in place. The most he's done is tell us where our clicks are coming from - Google, shocker! - and that's it. He really hasn't done ANYTHING. At this point, I'd say that we don't have any marketing in place.
I would speak to the ownership about developing a marketing plan as step one. Simply spending money here or there on SEO or ads or anything else isn't a plan.

·
Registered
529 Posts
We hired a third party marketing guy, but he doesn't seem to be doing anything for us. Our social media hasn't been touched and his SEO campaign isn't really helping much.
Tell him his services are no longer needed. Looking through what's not done on your website (from many angles) is painful and would take me several posts to address...

I'll give you a very short version.

#1. you have a 4 page site. You can't possibly cover all your bases this way. 30+ pages and you'll be making headway.
#2. your page titles are poorly written.

Resicom | Building and Disaster Restoration > Resicom | Building and Disaster Restoration <--- Your Current Homepage Title

Try something like this....

Fire, Water and Mold Damage Restoration Company in San Diego County | Resicom

See the difference?? One title makes sense and is descriptive... The other not so much.

Look at your website as casting a net in your local market... With 4 pages, that's only 4 poorly targeted lines you've got out. If you had 30 lines out there baited and ready to go do you think you'd be getting more exposure. Yes... You would.

You have several competitors who have the right idea... They are going to be impossible for your current website and SEO guy to catch. Take a look at Christian Bros website. This would be a good site in your market for to use as a guideline.

That's my advice for your website/SEO side...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts