Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all it is my pleasure to meet yall. I have been in the construction industry for 28 years now. I started off as a Form Carpenter in 1986. In 1988 I was the Lead Carpenter doing residential homes in Palm Coast. I was the Foreman for Davidson and Associates and was Superintendent doing a lot of work on Government. Then in 1992 I just wanted to take it a step higher and attended FCCJ where I attained a Degree in Construction Technology and Design. In 1996 I was doing metal framing and was framing out the rotunda at "The Tour Stop" in the World Golf Village. Well I was recruited by the General Contractor and was made the Project Manager of the remainder of the job at The Tour Stop. Since then I worked 12 years for Centex Resorts and I did many residential, commercial, multi family etc etc.But for the past 10 years I have been doing work on foreclosed homes. Now I am back working as a Sr Construction Manager and I need some advice in management of the homes we are doing. I have 11 homes right now and the boss doesn't want to use MS Project so I need a good tool that is a step by step way of managing all the homes. Something like an excel sheet that will take me through each task and will somehow constrain the milestone like an inspection until all the tasks are completed. Now when I was working on some custom homes in "The King and the Bear" I worked for Troy Properties. They had an awesome software that was just as easy as checking off the trades and once all the tasks were completed it popped up and asked me if I needed to call in an inspection. Any ideas guys. Thanks in advance and I hope I didn't write too much. If anyone ever needs any help at all please do not hesitate to contact me anytime.

·
Super Moderator
11,965 Posts
Welcome to CT!

(Just a hint, please break up your posts into paragraphs since it's hard to read on a forum) OK enough with the scolding.:laughing:

If your new boss is not up to speed on technology, why not just purchase the latest version of Project and truly wow him.

If he was giving you some sort of software to learn that would be one thing, but because we all have to use it now, why not just do it on your own? If he's old fashioned it will bedazzle him and make everyone else confident in your abilities.

My 2 pennies

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
I agree. Just because he doesn't want to use it doesn't mean you can't. If it helps you get the job done, what difference does it make to him.

I use a project managenent software called mavenlink sometimes when there are multiple people involved.. it prob has some functionalities that I have not explored yet that you may find useful. Its free the first month, it might work.. it might be way off..

·
General Contractor
8,083 Posts
Just communicate with contractors and walk the job and you will not need any software. 11 homes is a small project to stay on top of things.

·
Registered
Remodel
31,158 Posts
I don't know of any Excel based stuff that will do it. Scheduling with dependencies and constraints isn't too simple. I don't know of any free software that's good, either. There is some cheap Gantt chart software out there, but alll the scheduling is done by hand.

I understand about not wanting to use MS Project - it's pretty expensive for managing multiple projects. If you already have expertise with it and really want to use it, consider buying it yourself.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok thanks guys. I really appreciate the feedback.

They do have MS Office Project 2007. And when I was with Centex we used it. But I have never set up a project from scratch. Is it "User friendly" enough where I can just set up one house and then use that as the Master Template? And is there a good tutorial I can use that will take it step by step.

I mean I see the wizard that seems kind of like it takes you through but I'm not sure about the dependencies and constraints. Or is there a template anywhere online that already has "Single family spec home in St Augustine, Florida template"?

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Ok thanks guys. I really appreciate the feedback.

They do have MS Office Project 2007. And when I was with Centex we used it. But I have never set up a project from scratch. Is it "User friendly" enough where I can just set up one house and then use that as the Master Template? And is there a good tutorial I can use that will take it step by step.

I mean I see the wizard that seems kind of like it takes you through but I'm not sure about the dependencies and constraints. Or is there a template anywhere online that already has "Single family spec home in St Augustine, Florida template"?
MSProject is quite usable, for something that's inherently horribly complex and a complete PITA. That is, if you can sort out the complexities of a construction project, you will be able to figure out MSProject. The thing about Project or any other project manager software is that you need to be diligent about updating it. It's like doing your accounting - once you fall behind, it takes a lot of work to get it to make sense again. Like doing your accounting, it may not be the most fun.

If you google "MS Project construction template" you'll find all sorts of things, from free home building templates from Microsoft, to inexpensive ($20) sets of templates, to more complex offerings.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts