Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious so I posted this thread on a forum.
"I have a friend who brought a set of exterior double front entrance standard sized doors from HD and the guy showed up at 9:30am with the doors in his truck and finished all work at 12:30pm by himself which included all of the in and outside wood molding work, nail hole filling, caulking work and final site clean up as well as hauling away the old wooden frames and old doors. Less than three hours to finish what he did is an extraordinary feat and an extremely fast job. What do you guys think?"

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
As long as he wasn't changing hole sizes and he had a fairly square opening, not really a big deal....bustin ass no doubt, but not extraordinary. Now if it was an Anderson slider that he had to put together, that may be a different story.

·
The Duke
14,746 Posts
Sounds like someone who has done it before and wants to go out and make some money. Put your head down, get your butt out of the truck, get moving, don't talk to me I'm busy, get out of my way, here hold this while you take pics, you're welcome, have a nice day.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Just curious so I posted this thread on a forum.
"I have a friend who brought a set of exterior double front entrance standard sized doors from HD and the guy showed up at 9:30am with the doors in his truck and finished all work at 12:30pm by himself which included all of the in and outside wood molding work, nail hole filling, caulking work and final site clean up as well as hauling away the old wooden frames and old doors. Less than three hours to finish what he did is an extraordinary feat and an extremely fast job. What do you guys think?"
Once you get a installation system down, if everything was measured correctly,you have all the right supplies and tools, and if there aren't any hidden problems s/a rot,this becomes a slam dunk project.
These guys got to work smart to make a decent wage,so he probably follows a routine procedure that works for him.

·
Registered
Design/Build Remodeling
6,582 Posts
Sounds like someone who has done it before and wants to go out and make some money. Put your head down, get your butt out of the truck, get moving, don't talk to me I'm busy, get out of my way, here hold this while you take pics, you're welcome, have a nice day.
Wham - Bam - Thank you Maamm. And He has enough $ left to buy a cup of coffee. :no:

·
Registered
96 Posts
Thats my day in a nutshell. If you work out a system and do it day in day out you get good at it. The more important feat is to do that day after day and not get callbacks or service calls.

·
Atlanta Remodeling
234 Posts
The bottom line is, was the quality there?? Does it look good/right? Would the customer refer him?

Like everyone is saying, if he does this day in and day out (door/window installs) then he obviously has a system that works and knows it. My hats off to him! :clap:

It's hard to find people that actually want to work for a living.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Did you get his name and number for me?

·
Registered
184 Posts
No doubt it could be done if everything went perfect but how many times do you come to a door installation and have everything perfect. The last dozen of mine have all had walls out of plane by inch, poorly placed concrete under the old threshold, out of plumb walls, lack of framing, etc.

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
Its been said already, if all conditions are right, what you desribe is very doable, (by me in fact, 25 years ago:blink:). Now if this guy performs like this regularly, meaning most of his jobs go this quick, i would be concerned about what he is NOT DOING, I dont know about you guys, but most the entries i have done require some new flashing, rot repair, leveling the sill, padding a jam, and a # of other time consuming things. GMOD.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Its been said already, if all conditions are right, what you desribe is very doable, (by me in fact, 25 years ago:blink:). Now if this guy performs like this regularly, meaning most of his jobs go this quick, i would be concerned about what he is NOT DOING, I dont know about you guys, but most the entries i have done require some new flashing, rot repair, leveling the sill, padding a jam, and a # of other time consuming things. GMOD.
The OP did say the door was purchased at HD ,so if this was one of their installers, all "extras" would probably be up to the installer to do/collect for.

So..........?

If he had another installation to do that day,he may have cut corners to keep on schedule and did a Wam-Bam job.

Just another possibility ,which would go with the Big Box mentality.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
As long as he wasn't changing hole sizes and he had a fairly square opening, not really a big deal....bustin ass no doubt, but not extraordinary. Now if it was an Anderson slider that he had to put together, that may be a different story.
:laughing::laughing:

Last one I did was an 2'6x80" that I ended up tearing it out, replaced the sill, hinge jamb, strike jamb and sweep. If it wasn't a special order I would have replaced it

1 - 13 of 13 Posts