Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
Retired deck builder
5,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is something I don't usually have to deal with, but it's been much colder than normal down here lately. We've had a couple of days of no rain & temps today only in the upper 40's with 40% chance of rain tomorrow. If I apply twp today will it have time to set up in this cooler weather?

·
Premium Member
Retired deck builder
5,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks John, I kinda figured you say that.

I'm just anxious to wrap up this big arse deck that I finished monday other than the darn finish. We'll have a nice day sunday around 70 degrees, I just hate having to work on a sunday. What I hate worse is this daggum cold weather.

Oh well, I have a entertainment center to work on.

Stay warm up there in OK city.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
This is something I don't usually have to deal with, but it's been much colder than normal down here lately. We've had a couple of days of no rain & temps today only in the upper 40's with 40% chance of rain tomorrow. If I apply twp today will it have time to set up in this cooler weather?
I'll gladly change places with you any time!

·
Premium Member
Retired deck builder
5,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll gladly change places with you any time!
You wouldn't think I'd be this way being from northern ohio, but my blood has thinned quite a bit living in texas for 35 years. I'm such a woose that I wear longjohns at 50 degrees.

Toronto may be a nice place but, no way I'd want to live that far north.

·
John Hyatt
3,658 Posts
YO Al, I tested out the twp water base early last summer with some very good results so I used it on a ipe project latley with the 2x2 rail detail built and finished in the shop, Dammm is it cold or what??? , Anyway I like the stuff.

Used the rustic oak color its different than the 116 and you would never think from the color in the can it would work but its looks pretty good on ipe much lighter than 116 looks more like the tan/brown most ipe comes with. It dries real fast and has no odor at all. They are using a plastic linner and bottom on the can.

Might be the only good result of the green mafia take over I have seen yet. J.

·
Premium Member
Retired deck builder
5,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
They sell the water based here too, but while we still have the 100 series I'll keep using it. Would be interesting tho with new colors.

Had to call it off yesterday cause of the cold, guns were freezing up, hadn't done that here in lots of years.

·
Registered
142 Posts
testing

That is great news. We are doing our testing with a university on both TWP 100 & 500 series. Is the 1000 hr accelerated test. Results should be available around end of March. Will keep you informed. I have also been told that the black mold we get on the wood up here in the winter is because that variety is attracted to the oil, if that is the case maybe the water based product will not have the same issues.

Lorne

·
John Hyatt
3,658 Posts
No need for 1000 hr accelerated testing the JonMon can give you all the results you want, for a slight fee, based on 10 years of unaccelerated real live use. You guys really crack me up with that testing shetttt ola its not going to tell you anything. Just put on the finish,let it lay in the weather and see what happens!!! It only takes one cycle ghesssssss.

Same with the mold dude its got nothing to do with the oil in resin twp it also has nothing to do with the water base they just changed out the carry agent everything else is the same.

Some peoples Kids :wallbash: J.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
50,700 Posts
You wouldn't think I'd be this way being from northern ohio, but my blood has thinned quite a bit living in texas for 35 years. I'm such a woose that I wear longjohns at 50 degrees.

Toronto may be a nice place but, no way I'd want to live that far north.
Wow, I guess you are. I don't wear LJ in 20ºF weather. When it hits the occasional 40ºF in February it is "T" shirt weather. Drive the truck around with the windows down it feels so nice. :laughing:

Seeing I am clueless..What is TWP?

·
Premium Member
Retired deck builder
5,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wow, I guess you are. I don't wear LJ in 20ºF weather. When it hits the occasional 40ºF in February it is "T" shirt weather. Drive the truck around with the windows down it feels so nice. :laughing:

Seeing I am clueless..What is TWP?
You're probably in the polar bear club too Leo, breaking ice to dive into to frigid waters.

Since it's an outdoor stain you're excused for not knowing, TWP = Total Wood Preservative = good stuff outside wood.

I've got to agree with JonMon on the testing thing, all these acceleration test aren't worth a darn, give us real testing in the real world.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
50,700 Posts
Naw, no Polar Bear Club for me. That's just insane. But living in New England for my whole life I kinda got use to the cold weather. Now 20ºF and a 15 MPH wind is a different story - that's cold.

Thanks for the info about the stain. Good to learn new things. I have built a few decks in my time, but I prefer to work indoors in my shop these days.

·
Banned
15 Posts
j boss

I've been working on a large deck project up in Seattle. It has warmed up in the last 2 weeks, from sub freezing into the low 50's, BUT, the rain just wont stop! I'd rather work in the cold, get busy and warm up than to have rain running down by nose, dripping onto the pencil marks on my wood cuts. Stay safe!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts