Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
*SUPER*$500$ SPECIAL *DRYWALL

$500.00 room special-------> Old walls torn out , studs prepaired for new drywall, new drywall hung, and finished. Ready for paint. This Super low price includes , materials, labor, and clean up. Enjoy you newly remodeled room for less than ever. This low price is due to decline in local ecconomy. Take advantage of this offer while it lasts. Pay in cash and get insulation installed for free. Call us at 330.883.0898 8am - 8pm mon - sun disclosure-this special is bassed on the average household room size 20x20 or less Thank you Drywall Masters inc.

http://youngstown.craigslist.org/sks/1441228827.html

·
Starving Tile Artist
1,216 Posts
I wonder If he has any limitations on room size. I have an attic that could use conversion. 1368 sq ft of drywall required, for $500 thats not bad.

·
Starving Tile Artist
1,216 Posts
Wiz: look up LOL room is 20 x 20 or smaller :shifty::laughing:
Oops I missed that, thanks. Guess i'll have to do it myself. Properly!

·
Cabinetmaker
672 Posts
I have put the motion to allow this miss speak before Da Familia Counsulari.
Guido will be in contact to deliver our answer. :shifty::shifty:

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
This is one of the Many MORONS out there,I was looking at it like this a 20'x 20' that's 400 sqft then you times the height by 8' that gives you 3200 sqft of board for $500. then sheetrock is $6.97 for 5/8 4'x 8' and 1/2 4'x8' is $5.98
So let's do the math, I came up with $240.72 for materials with no primer, screws, corner bead, then add in gas say three days $30.00 at $2.65 a gallon and hope the job is close to his house. That leaves him $227.28 for labor, overhead and profit:laughing: say it takes 4 guys 10 hours that would give them around $5.50 an hour:whistling:thumbsup: I love these guys, I wonder were they would cut corners at. Then he didn't say anything about how many corners he would do, hope theres no windows and doors in these rooms:laughing:
MORONS:thumbsup:

·
Starving Tile Artist
1,216 Posts
This is one of the Many MORONS out there,I was looking at it like this a 20'x 20' that's 400 sqft then you times the height by 8' that gives you 3200 sqft of board for $500. then sheetrock is $6.97 for 5/8 4'x 8' and 1/2 4'x8' is $5.98
So let's do the math, I came up with $240.72 for materials with no primer, screws, corner bead, then add in gas say three days $30.00 at $2.65 a gallon and hope the job is close to his house. That leaves him $227.28 for labor, overhead and profit:laughing: say it takes 4 guys 10 hours that would give them around $5.50 an hour:whistling:thumbsup: I love these guys, I wonder were they would cut corners at. Then he didn't say anything about how many corners he would do, hope theres no windows and doors in these rooms:laughing:
I hear you can get Chineese drywall...cheap!

·
DavidC
2,550 Posts
Why worry about competing with guys like that? He is obviously not in the same market. He's actually doing us a favor by dragging the bottom and sucking up some of the price shoppers so we don't have to deal with them.

You can buy a 12" Remington or get yourself an 18" Stihl. There are not the same but are both called chainsaws and the differences are obvious. Serving different markets is all.

Good Luck
Dave

·
Registered
2 Posts
This is what i see. On the redo of a 20X20 room. For the new baby on the way. (Conversion between HO (home owner) and Company rep). After he's done looking at it for 3 min.

Him: Yes sir, We can do this room as advertised on craigslist for $500. Will you be paying cash.

HO: Yes I will.

Him: Thats great, we are installing insulation for free if you pay with cash.

HO: Great, I have enuf inso. left over from when i redid my basement. So you"ll install it.

Him: No. We only install the best inso. avail. from our vendors. It's for the warranty. (He charges HO 2X the amount that he can pick it up for at the Big Orange Box.

HO: OK. Now what about the ceiling. That's included also, right ?

Him: No sir it's not. As it's not stated in the ad. (That will be an additional charge for labor and material. $$$)

HO: mmm I see. Now what about the existing trim and baseboard ?

Him. Sir you may remove it yourself or, we can remove it for you. We will not reinstall it. We are a drywall Co. (extra $$ and no guaranty i will be able to reuse it.)

HO: I'm concerned about the recently new rug in the room.

Him: We will gladly ensure your rug is covered. (extra cost $$)

HO: You will also make sure clean up is done properly.

Him: Yes sir. As long as you provide a place for the debris. If you need, we can provide a dumpster for you. ( I'm sure he can. $$$)

HO: Great. So when can you start ? (today is friday)

Him: Once you sign here and pay the amount in full. We will start Monday morn.

Senerio !!!
Being a home owner that knows nothing about construction.He signs and pays him. They smile and shake hands. He says I'll see you Monday. He doesn't come back for 45 days. The whole time waiting the home owner is going bald, losing weight, and now drinks to much. Divorce is sure to follow. Because in the beginning he told his wife, Don't worry honey I'll take care of everything. I know what I'm doing !
Maybe it's me, But I see this guy Praying on people that NEED to have work done in their homes.
2 laborers to do demo, inso. & cleanup, and load mat. 5hrs. each @ 8.00 cash = $80
Material - Left over or stolen from another job = $0.00
2 hangers who also finish. 10 hrs each @ 15.00 cash = $300
1 laborer for final cleanup. 2 hrs. @ $8.00 cash = $16.00
To throw the debris out the window onto your lawn, because you couldn't afford a dumpster.
Drywall contract was for $1200.00
New trim, base and paint. (done by pros.)
The job came out looking really good. The home owner and his wife are happy that its all done.
Good thing he took care of it all, and knew what what he was doing.
It only cost him $1500.00

·
Banned
588 Posts

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Craigslist should be dealt with like this, In Michigan there are New Laws that came into play last June 1st 2008, In this State ALL Contractors have to have a Builders License or a M&A Contractors License if they don't they can be fined $2,500.00 to $75,000 and if they get caught 2 times working without a License they can face 2 to 5 years in Prison, So I post on craigslist stating that :whistling If the Public knows and they still hire these azzholes well then they get what they deserve:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Craigslist should be dealt with like this, In Michigan there are New Laws that came into play last June 1st 2008, In this State ALL Contractors have to have a Builders License or a M&A Contractors License if they don't they can be fined $2,500.00 to $75,000 and if they get caught 2 times working without a License they can face 2 to 5 years in Prison, So I post on craigslist stating that :whistling If the Public knows and they still hire these azzholes well then they get what they deserve:thumbsup:

The new laws in Michigan are Anti-Free Market. They are used to keep legit businesses from neighboring border states from coming in and doing business in Michigan.

·
Registered
684 Posts
You cannot compete , it's a bull$t add. He would be paying you after the material alone . It's a no brainer dude

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Time wise i did our new weight room 15x17x7 in one day...that was hanging, tape/mud/texture and primed....granted it took me 12hrs to do it alone, and i use nothing but hot mud...i'm not into multiple trips to get a job done on small stuff like 1 room, and tiz why i dont call in drywall subs unless we have multiple rooms to deal with, ya'll just drag things out too long LOL!! I've used 3 different subs and the bathrooms i've had them do, take just like you said..3 days. In one day we are primed and ready for paint or installing cabs/fixtures if HO is going to paint it themselves later. We LOVE 5 and 20 minute mud!!! just gotta be on your toes, but since time is money, why take 3 days to do what should be a 1 day deal and move onto the next one vs logging 10000 miles hopping all over town doing tiny aspects of each job all over?? On whole houses i get it and there's no other way to do it, but remodeling A room is a completely different animal, but all the subs i see get into a mind set and that's all they know how to do...

·
Registered
186 Posts
This is one of the Many MORONS out there,I was looking at it like this a 20'x 20' that's 400 sqft then you times the height by 8' that gives you 3200 sqft of board for $500. :
:eek:Glad you're not my drywall sub. Their $500 price is as bad as your room area calculations. You calculated the volume of the room not the area of the walls and ceiling :laughing: Do you ever find yourself wondering why you only used a third of the drywall you ordered for a job? (BTW its 1040 sq ft for a 20x20x8' room and ceiling not 3200)

Just razzing you Frankawitz. Have a good Thanksgiving.

·
David
40 Posts
:eek:Glad you're not my drywall sub. Their $500 price is as bad as your room area calculations. You calculated the volume of the room not the area of the walls and ceiling :laughing: Do you ever find yourself wondering why you only used a third of the drywall you ordered for a job? (BTW its 1040 sq ft for a 20x20x8' room and ceiling not 3200)

Maybe my math is off, but isn't that 20'x8' x 4 walls, which = 640 sf?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts