Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm using a Bostitch LPF28WW air framing nailer to install 8" beveled cedar siding. The foot is leaving BIG blemishes and I'm halting the installation of siding until I can figure this out. My old cordless Paslode had a rubber foot I could attach to protect siding from this happening. Does anyone know of an attachment or gizmo or technique I can use to stop this problem? It's REALLY bad ugly when the nailer misfires and leaves 2 or 3 bad places in the siding. Looks like I'm going to have to re-do a whole wall at my expense because I'm ashamed of how bad a beautiful installation looks....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My first shot at it too... Instructions say to use a nail with 1/4" head so my finish nailer is not recommended for the job. I can't see me hand nailing it but it would definitely look better... and may be my best option since this is not a really big job and probably a one shot deal. Something like a 1 1/2"- 2" ring shank is recommended... perfect nail for my framing nailer.

·
diplomat
5,292 Posts
You should probably be using a siding nailer like the N66C, or hand bang.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Would a siding or roofing nailer work better?

If it's causing quality issues, and it's not worth it to buy a new gun, I'd hand nail it. It can't hurt to hone your hand nailing technique. :thumbup:

Don't risk your reputation because of laziness.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys... it's definitely not about laziness. It's about doing a top quality job efficiently. That's why I sought a forum like this to learn how others do it....

·
Registered
132 Posts
RandyJ2007 said:
I'm using a Bostitch LPF28WW air framing nailer to install 8" beveled cedar siding. The foot is leaving BIG blemishes and I'm halting the installation of siding until I can figure this out. My old cordless Paslode had a rubber foot I could attach to protect siding from this happening. Does anyone know of an attachment or gizmo or technique I can use to stop this problem? It's REALLY bad ugly when the nailer misfires and leaves 2 or 3 bad places in the siding. Looks like I'm going to have to re-do a whole wall at my expense because I'm ashamed of how bad a beautiful installation looks....
We hand nail with stainless steel ring shank. Make sure the nail penetrates studs 1 1/4" or more and not the piece of cedar below.

·
Joseph A. Capece
1,811 Posts

·
topsail's trimcat
5,026 Posts
just use a siding gun.. hence the name.. framing gun is for.... framing:wallbash:

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Would a siding or roofing nailer work better?

If it's causing quality issues, and it's not worth it to buy a new gun, I'd hand nail it. It can't hurt to hone your hand nailing technique. :thumbup:

Don't risk your reputation because of laziness.
Too much gunning may result in hammering with two hands on the hammer handle.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
just use a siding gun.. hence the name.. framing gun is for.... framing:wallbash:
Maybe I should just call it a fencing gun since I've built many a fence with it.... They're all basically NAIL GUNS that can serve many purposes. It does shoot the right kind of nails for the job. The problem is with the foot leaving claw marks and extra "holes" when it misfires which is unusual. It has been a very good/nice gun for all kinds of work.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Didn't the DWB have some kind of tip made out of the top of a Mt Dew bottle or something? Can we send out an A.P.B. to get him in here?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Didn't the DWB have some kind of tip made out of the top of a Mt Dew bottle or something? Can we send out an A.P.B. to get him in here?
There has been mention of something of that order. Probably something on youtube about it. Sounds like a good job for duct tape.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts