Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,

How do I demolish the existing backsplash tiles to install a new backsplash? Do I demo all the way to the drywall demolishing the tiles and the thinset or do I demo just the tiles living the thinset?

If I can demo the tiles only while leaving the thinset, whats the best way to do it without damaging the thinset/drywall?

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
We typically use an oscillating multi tool and cut the drywall around the perimeter of the back splash and pull the drywall and tile off together. It's faster and much less messy.

·
Registered
Custom
12,726 Posts
I second what Xtreme said but I have to know, if you were able to remove the tiles without disturbing the thinset what is the plan then?
Sounds like trying to avoid the corner bead and having to finish/paint... :whistling :laughing:

A lot of wasted time and effort to save a little... if he's an actual GC, sounds like his first time, but we've all been there...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, I just recently became a GC and wanted to know what's the best way to go bout it. Appearantly, they installed tiles over tiles.

I have a multi tool, so I will do what Xtrememtnbiker suggested, thanks.

Any additional tips for this job would be helpful.

Attachments

·
Registered
Remodel
27,407 Posts
Bust tiles, and you're going to have what amounts to glass shards all over the place. It's a messy demo, cover stuff up and contain as much of the havoc as you can. Just don't spend all day being prissy about it.

·
Registered
11,632 Posts
And wear safety glasses, full wrap around and sealing, as well as good gloves. Tile chips are worse than glass shards.

·
Registered
Remodel
27,407 Posts
Nobody ever saves thinset or cement board or drywall, but if you want a hobby for a few days, you can save most of the tiles.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts