Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I work mostly on rehabs from top to bottom. It's a pain to supply materials. I go to the store every morning and sometimes again during the day.

I've come across a couple problems.

Buying many materials at once.. There's just not enough space to put it and I run into cash flow problems.

I drive a 1500 with a 6 1/2 bed. I can only get so many materials. I have a trailer but that's mainly for tools.

How are you guys doing things.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
My 8' bed works great for sheets and rack on top for lumber. If I need more than my truck can hold, I get delivery from the lumber yard. Cash flow problem shouldn't be.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Delivered to the shop and hauled out to the job in dump trucks and trailers. If full semi trucks of material are needed for the job they are shipped right out to us. Running back and forth to the distributors is not an option. Cash flow shouldnt be an issue.

·
Talking Head
5,388 Posts
I have to go pick up hardware, paint and tools pretty regularly but if I have to go pick up materials, I messed up. Free delivery to my job vs. me spending 2 hours to go get it, load it, drive back and unload it. I usually shoot for about a weeks worth of materials per delivery, they'll make extra trips so I don't overdo it unless I have the space.

·
stacker of sticks
8,502 Posts
You need to plan better. I do a lot of rehabs, and you just need a week planned out.

As soon as demo if done I figure out what I need for framing. I send my list to the lumber yard As soon as framing is done hvac comes in, Plumbers then electricians.
When they are doing that, we do the siding, roofing, porch and deck ect. Material is figured out before demo is done.
I get my shingles and siding windows and exterior doors on the same truck. Lumber on a different truck.
Drywall is next, I get it boomed in Then flooring, comes with doors and trim and cabinets. Painters come in next
Then electricians and plumbers come in

It's just knowing what you need and making sure it's on site before you need it.

·
Love me some Concrete
1,834 Posts
It's many different ways for me, smaller things are in truck or trailer. Big jobs, I usually have stuff delivered but you have to be careful of theives, especially on rehab projects. If the house is empty, you will surely get burglarized a few times, thats way I never leave tools on site if the house is empty.

Phucking thieves keep me on my toes from just leaving items on the job.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Step 1 - Get a dang truck...a 6.5' bed is not a truck for hauling anything...get a 8' bed so you can fit more into it!

Step 2 - Plan a little more in advance, it makes a difference for those mid-day trips to the store.

Step 3 - Ask about delivery! Sometimes it's free, other times it's $30 well spent to keep yourself on the job knocking stuff out.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Larger orders delivered. Smaller orders on my truck. Occasionally I will place a larger order and leave my trailer at the lumberyard. They load it in the order I want and I get it the next day. That way I can back the trailer up and start building from the top down.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts