Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bid a project for a guy and on the scope of work was mold removal. I got a professional mold company to do the bid.. they came in at 2400.00

I know there is no special license required. Is this something I can or should do myself in order to get my overall bid lower?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
106 Posts
Use 35% food grade hydrogen peroxide. Mix it down to 4% by a ratio of 1 part HP and 10 parts water. Spray liberally. Nothing kills mold better than HP. Its an anti viral ,anti bacterial, kills mold and fungus on contact and is 100% non-toxic to humans unlike bleach and toxic commercial chemicals. Just be careful with the 35% food grade it will burn your skin on contact. Been using this for years its truly amazing and inexpensive.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
573 Posts
I use a product called moldstat plus.

Removing the mold and killing the mold is only one part of fixing the problem. Mold spores are everywhere. After removal the affected area it needs to dry out. Finding the source of the what is making the area wet is necessary. Also any wood that isn't being removed should be cleaned and/ or sanded. Then encapsulated with a mold encapsulation "paint".
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
41 Posts
I did a job with mold in it during tear out & I did took care of mine with white vinegar. Kills 85% first time on contact, then a second application knocked it right out. Bleach also will work.
Do not treat mold, or work around mold, without wearing proper respirators with appropriate filters.
You can have a sample tested to see if it is the infamous black mold, (stachybotrys) which is very hazardous to your lungs and can cause permanent damage if not handled properly. Not all mold that is black is stachybotrys, but still toxic nevertheless.
 

·
90%-er
Joined
·
1,438 Posts
Look into renting an Ozone Generator (lots of rental shops carry them). We flip houses that have mold oftentimes. Set that Generator up for 24 hours in the affected area, and you'll see your mold turn to a fine white powder that can be scraped off and re sealed with oil based Killz. WEAR A GOOD RESPIRATOR. Not a good time to be a cheapskate with safety gear here.

The ozone penetrates deeper than the surface. Kills spores.

Respirator, Respirator, Respirator.
 

·
Head Light Bulb Changer
Joined
·
847 Posts
I wouldn't mess around with doing it yourself. If you're bidding a job that has a defined mold removal clause, you're setting yourself up for an expensive lesson in 'profit'. Hire a pro, mark it up 5% if you're that concerned about cost, and let them take the responsibility for any missed mold and dry out (It WILL continue to grow if you miss some and it's still wet). Mold remediation is one of those things that will bite your ass hard if you screw it up. JM2C.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
599 Posts
Don't take this the wrong way, but you shouldn't be doing mold work if you don't know anything about it. You can and will lose your a** , not to mention odds are your liability insurance most likely doesn't cover you to do that type of work.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top