Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I build a lot of wood sided homes and cabins up here in the blue ridge mountains. Half the builders say wrap it, and the other half say let the wood siding "breath". It's not required by code on wood siding. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
378 Posts
15 lb. felt is under any wood sidings i install anything else gets housewrap.My main reason for using house wrap is labor savings compared to installing felt.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Our code, (UBC), requires a barrier if wood siding is applied over wood sheathing. Next month we are going in the IBC code and i have to learn everything all over again.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Felt has a long proven track record house wrap does not .I had somewhat unscientific test in my own yard ,15lb felt on a shed i built three years ago but only sided last month was in very good condition after 3 winters and 3 summers exposed to the rain snow sun 90 degree summers and below 0 winters.Only failure was due to fact that i stapled the felt rather using cap nails,can,t imagine what housewrap would have looked like after three years.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
I think house wrap DOES have a proven record. I know I have replaced sidings where house wrap was used and had seen no signs of mousture penetration after removal of the house wrap.

Sure Felt has been used much longer in construction history but that's not to say house wrap isn't proven.

P.S. House wrap is not intended to be left exposed for 3 years so if it did look like crap I wouldn't be suprised nor would I hold it against the manufacturer. It's like taking a antibiotic for a head ache and wondering why it doesn't work.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts