Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am working on a job doing some interior remodel and flooring and the customer has asked advice on how to repair/replace her exterior siding (insulbrick )that is falling off. The problem is that it's a 2 story with about 20 feet to the eave and there is only 12'' between the the house next door:eek:. any suggestions. Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Sounds like the same designer that engineered the fan belt on my old car--Instructions included----
First ; remove engine mounting bolts-----

Suggest you pass on that one--You need tiny little people who are not claustrophobic.

Or like G.M. suggested: First -unbolt house from the foundation----

·
bathroom guru
1,348 Posts
Many years ago I was doing some design work for a client on the Bruce Peninsula. They were having an 1800 sq ft addition built on to their cottage and the architect who did the plans designed a glass block window in the bathroom - I think about 4' wide x 6' high.

Seems pretty easy, except, the plans called for 2 panels with a 1" air space in between (for insulating I'm guessing)

He thought the install would be a "piece of cake"!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Insulbrick is a paper based, tar impregnated, granular faced material that was popular from 1920 to 1950. This material can appear as brick, stone, metal siding or shingle.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I believe this and the house built next to it was constructed the same time.However i still don't see how they installed the insulbrick with out getting stuck between houses.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
12" LoL......Id have to hire new guys thats for sure. my boots are 14" long.

couldnt hand drive nails, most nailguns wouldnt fit, even a screwgun and screw wont fit.

good luck

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
I'll bet a thousand you are not the first person he has asked to do this job...RUN Forrest RUN...:laughing:

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
Am working on a job doing some interior remodel and flooring and the customer has asked advice on how to repair/replace her exterior siding (insulbrick )that is falling off. The problem is that it's a 2 story with about 20 feet to the eave and there is only 12'' between the the house next door:eek:. any suggestions. Thanks for any input.
I have stapled vinyl up but not in 2 story application.

I honestly can't think of a way. When I saw this posted I was hoping to learn something new, nope:no:

·
topsail's trimcat
5,026 Posts
scab some 1" plywood spanning the gap between the homes at the adjacent walls, fill with concrete. concrete doesnt burn

1 - 19 of 19 Posts